AR-15 Builders !

IMG_0373.JPG
I have a smith and Wesson upper lower combo, giesselle trigger, full length gas tube, giesselle gas block, Midwest industries 16 inch rail, shilen medium weight stainless steel barrel, 20 inch long, and magpul furniture.

View attachment 79223 I have a smith and Wesson upper lower combo, giesselle trigger, full length gas tube, giesselle gas block, Midwest industries 16 inch rail, shilen medium weight stainless steel barrel, 20 inch long, and magpul furniture.
Nice,,,What did that shilen barrel cost ya ? Twist ? What kind of 5 shot groups are you getting ?

Is it the rubber coated MP handgrip ? I like those more than the rubber Ergo grip !

At our carbine shoot today, a kid was telling me about a cabelas sale on the DPMS Oracle ,,, 1 for 232.00 + tax or 2 for 500.00 out the door tax included, they sold out QUICK,,,,FREAK I cant even begin to build one that cheap !

Last edited:
1:7 twist and the barrel, flutes, install, and paint cost me $350. The whole gun build parts and paint included cost $700. It shoots a little under 1 MOA with 55 grainers. The heavier I move up in grains the tighter the group gets. My gunsmith loaded up some 77 grainers for me and it shot 5 shot groups consistently into 1/4 MOA. All in with that rifle as it currently sits is $1500. It's magpul gripe and it's gummy like a hogue stock, but feels of better quality, like tougher and won't flex on you. I really , really like it. Also, I would've have bought out the whole **** store if they were selling oracles at $250!!

1:7 twist and the barrel, flutes, install, and paint cost me $350. The whole gun build parts and paint included cost $700. It shoots a little under 1 MOA with 55 grainers. The heavier I move up in grains the tighter the group gets. My gunsmith loaded up some 77 grainers for me and it shot 5 shot groups consistently into 1/4 MOA. All in with that rifle as it currently sits is $1500. It's magpul gripe and it's gummy like a hogue stock, but feels of better quality, like tougher and won't flex on you. I really , really like it. Also, I would've have bought out the whole **** store if they were selling oracles at $250!!

Well i found it hard to believe, but he seemed to be an out standing young man !

**** 1/4 moa beats the poop out my DDm4V ! Even my 20" varmint couldn't hold that even when it was newer and i was way younger ! In its best days it shot 52 gr A maxes a consistent 1/2 moa, hell that meets its all time best 5 shot group of 5/8 " @ 200 yards.

I was pretty impressed with my cheapo pencil PSA 16" barrel shooting .601 just dont now if it can hold that consistently , seen it do that in two outings, i may just have to take a day and shoot ten 5s and see what it averages !

Can you find out what the barrel cost with out fluting and paint and install i may just order a barrel only from your provider/gunsmith...... cuz i would have bet that barrel was 400.00 or up with out all the Xtras .

Do you yourself reload ?

Last edited:
IMG_0395.JPG
I don't reload currently bc I am military and deploy all the time. I have a year left in the army and my smith is going to teach me to reload. I have all the equipment to do it, just haven't had time to do it. My smith doesn't sell barrels individually. He does rifles by word of mouth and does a lot of work for veterans and police departments. He can do a barrel for you for $350 for everything. He is located in Milner, Georgia. Turn around time has been roughly 2 months for him.

Here's my only picture of the groups. This was at 110 yards at the fort Bragg rifle range. The 1st group was zeroing/sight in. The 2nd group was to see how tight I could get it. They were both 5 shot groups (10 shots total) off a front rest and rear sandbag on a bench. The ammo was .223, 64 grain, federal power shock. Cheap stuff I got at Walmart. Shot pretty well. I was aiming for the 9 as point of reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
First let me say thank you for your service !!!

I noticed from your picture the infamous first round flyer ! Caused from in my experience hand charging the first round , i alleviate this by loading 6 rounds and dumping the first round into the berm and then taking the 5 shots on target, i really see this in most all autos not all the time,but most of the time,,, esp in my 1911.

Maybe you cold email his phone number to me or some type of contact info ?
That is a crazy good price for just the barrel alone.

http://www.shilen.com/ar15Barrels.html cheapest barrel listed 397.00

So basically you are shooting sub quality ammo compared to reloading your own, in all my years i have only seen one purchased ammo that i could not beat by hand loading and that was CBC OTM 77 gr Sierra match bullet, made in brazil ,,,crazy good stuff for 1-7 twists, now if i could just get my hands on the Magic powder they used,,, WW-732 i think, have to look again to be sure , not available to the public !

Last edited:
View attachment 79301 I don't reload currently bc I am military and deploy all the time. I have a year left in the army and my smith is going to teach me to reload. I have all the equipment to do it, just haven't had time to do it. My smith doesn't sell barrels individually. He does rifles by word of mouth and does a lot of work for veterans and police departments. He can do a barrel for you for $350 for everything. He is located in Milner, Georgia. Turn around time has been roughly 2 months for him.

Here's my only picture of the groups. This was at 110 yards at the fort Bragg rifle range. The 1st group was zeroing/sight in. The 2nd group was to see how tight I could get it. They were both 5 shot groups (10 shots total) off a front rest and rear sandbag on a bench. The ammo was .223, 64 grain, federal power shock. Cheap stuff I got at Walmart. Shot pretty well. I was aiming for the 9 as point of reference.
Hmmmmm!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts