Aoudads

That is where the big debate begins. I pulled the backstraps off of both of my rams, the smaller ram after heavily marinating and smoking was not bad tasting. The bigger ram was like jerky.

Ive heard though that if you shoot a younger one the meat is pretty tasty after letting it age.

Aoudads are tough!! I have taken four, two with a 30-378 WBY and two with a 300 Win. It took a few well placed shots with the 300 win, 190 SMK's to bring them down. The 30-378 with 180 Accu Bonds were one shot kills. As a note, I would not use the 190 SMK's again for Aoudad! Just my preference.

I wasn't going to post but then thought what the heck maybe someone can make use of the info.

In the Las Padres National Forest south of Big Sur California right on the coast in northern San Luis Obispo county and southern Monterey county there are Aoudad. As rough as that country is I know they have not been hunted out. I have not hunted that country for twenty years but they used to be everywhere and were kinda a nuisance when hunting bucks. There are also Sambar Deer and Russian Boar. The Russian Boar have probably been bred out by now.

William Randolph Hearst imported them onto his ranch along with a lot of other stuff when the Hearst Castle was built I think in the 1920's near San Simeon and of course they populated from lack of pressure and could be found all over the ranch which is huge and the southern end of the national forest.

In my opinion the meat is only good for sausage and that's what we used it for when one of the bunch couldn't stand it and took one. I personally never chose to take one but have been in the middle of them many times.

You are going to need a cartridge that can deliver enough energy at 450 yds. YES, sometimes they can be had closer and many times people get lucky with lesser cartridges. But I personally believe luck favors the prepared....so be prepared to shoot far and to hit them HARD. these animals are very very tough. And even if it is a kill shot, he might run 40 yds and you never recover the animal because the terrain is so unforgiving. gun)Shoot what ever you shoot the best but try hard to shoot something deserving of these animals, they are an African species so, shoot a little far forward. DO NOT SHOOT BEHIND THE SHOULDER. Try a high shoulder shot if you can. To anchor them down, other wise.....you'll be disapointed.
.338's
.300's
.50 cals...kidding

I am looking for information on hunting these sheep in California. Anyone that has hunted them and is okay with discussing information with me feel free to drop me a PM if you don't want to do it on the forum.
I'm looking for a little more information on where to go and what to expect.
I would be willing to help with information regarding Washingto state and Northern Idaho to anyone who would be willing to help me with planning an Aoudad hunt in CA. I've got awesome mule deer, whitetail, bear, turkey and salmon/steelhead fishing. Also "decent" Elk

kcebcj- I sent you a private message. Weather or not you respond to it is up to you, but I sure hope you do.
Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.