Anyone tried the XLR Atom chassis yet?

Those adapters are pretty heavy-- they kinda defeat the lightweight purpose
On the element 4.0, they are 5 oz, so they for sure do add some weight, but my chassis is still just a shade over 32 oz, and the folding option is absolutely worth 5 oz when trying to navigate through thick brush with the rifle in my pack. However if you just wanted strait up light weight, fixed is the way to go. Or a Manners ultra light sporter at 17 oz....ha ha

Is it possible to build a 7mm PRC, Howa 1500 action with the XLR Atom chassis and a 24" to 26" inch barrel? I was thinking of a light weight hunting rifle under 10 pounds total.

Last edited:
This from their website:

1704364461282.png

The 24" - 26" barrel will be a little awkward, I think. Then take into consideration the contour of those longer barrels. You will need to plan out the weight of the barrel by visiting the barrel maker's website or the secondary market suppliers to find the weights for comparison. We can't do this for you, you have to do the legwork and the math to find the total weight.

:)

This from their website:

View attachment 528932

The 24" - 26" barrel will be a little awkward, I think. Then take into consideration the contour of those longer barrels. You will need to plan out the weight of the barrel by visiting the barrel maker's website or the secondary market suppliers to find the weights for comparison. We can't do this for you, you have to do the legwork and the math to find the total weight.

Ok, thank you. After doing some more research I'm going with the XLR Element chassis.

I'm not sure about the aluminum or magnesium chassis with regards to long term durability, which material would hold up better in the long run?

I bought 3 of the Element chassis (aluminum) when they first hit the market and they are still going strong for both hunting and target shooting (formerly PRS). Magnesium saves you a few ounces, costs more but that weight savings can be found when adjusting other components such as barrel contour/length and butt stock design.

Enjoy!

I bought 3 of the Element chassis (aluminum) when they first hit the market and they are still going strong for both hunting and target shooting (formerly PRS). Magnesium saves you a few ounces, costs more but that weight savings can be found when adjusting other components such as barrel contour/length and butt stock design.

Enjoy!

I, too, have one, purchased it in 2016.

1704368274461.jpeg

I have 3 of them and I put them on Remington CP's rebarreled to 6CM for my small boys. They work extremely well. I put the folder on a thermal gun and had to replace it because you have to crawl the stock so much on a thermal gun that the hinge for the fold was hitting me in the face. That was due to the unique use and not the stock though.

After doing some more research I'm thinking of a XLR Element chassis with either the Howa 1500 or Tikka action chambered in 7mm PRC...

One thing that was confusing was on XLR's website they only list the Howa 1500 in short action and not long action. Doesn't the 7mm PRC need a long action because of the length of the bullet?

After doing some more research I'm thinking of a XLR Element chassis with either the Howa 1500 or Tikka action chambered in 7mm PRC...

One thing that was confusing was on XLR's website they only list the Howa 1500 in short action and not long action. Doesn't the 7mm PRC need a long action because of the length of the bullet?
Yes the 7 PRC will need to be built on long action. So if you are set on that chambering the Howa is out of the picture.

Here's how mine turned out with the atom. I like it for what I use it for but I think a long range rig with a longer barrel could definitely use more forend. This is only an 18" barrel on this .223AI.

Attachments

• IMG_4899.jpeg
    IMG_4899.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 45