Anyone Familiar with the Weatherby MK XXII

I was at a local gun shop today and came across a Weatherby MK XXII. I had no idea that Weatherby produced a rimfire rifle, let alone a semi auto. So I left a deposit on it and will pick it up next week some time.

It has, what I was told, a select fire lever from semi auto to single shot, can anyone confirm this?

I was hoping someone would chime in with any info on it. I would love to know more about it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 418
Yes, I own several.

The switch does convert from single shot to semi-auto. The rifles were made in Italy or Japan other than a very, very few made in the US by Mossberg (never seen one). Generally they are extremely accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot.

Price seems to be dependent on where they were made (Italy > Japan) and the character of the wood.

There is a tube fed version. I owned one, briefly, but the USPS broke the stock on it before I received it, and I never took possession. It was the most gorgeous wood on any I have seen.

As a wildlife officer, I have seen a few of the Weatherby 22 semi rifles. The ones I have seen had the light blonde stocks like the Weatherby Mark 5 had. I believe it was Mosquiete wood. Every one I talked to loved them and said they were very accurate rifles. I believe the early ones was built in Germany by J.P. Sauer before they started farming them out on bids. I have a friend who is looking for one. His brother had one and Bill had squirrel hunted with it, And fell in love with the rifle.

One of the most happy Christmases I had as a kid was the one when my dad gave me a Weatherby XXII! I must have been around 9 years old (I'm 62 now). Was a great gift from a father to a son.

I learned to shoot with that rifle. It was very accurate and no blue jays were safe when I was around. I hiked countless miles with the little Weatherby hanging from my shoulder. I have the clip-fed version, which came with 10 and 5-round clips. As previously stated, the rifle could be switched from semi-auto to single shot with the flick of a switch.

My dad bought me a weaver scope, but some years back it went bad and I replaced it with a Weatherby XXII 4-power scope, which Weatherby made for this rifle. The Weatherby scope looks great on the rifle, and it has intregral mounts that slide onto a slot milled in the top of the action.

My rifle is an early version that was made in Italy. The walnut stock is very nice, as one would expect from a Weatherby. The rifle is very accurate and it handles well. I refinshed the stock about 20 years ago and it still looks brand new. My dad had one of his own and I took it over when he passed away several years ago. I reciently bought a Weatherby XXII scope for it. Those scopes have not been manufactured for some time but one can find them on Ebay or Gunbroker. Now I have two Mark XXIIs .22 rifles in my safe and I am quite proud of them.

My advise: Buy it. You will not be sorry.

9E901711-321D-47F4-8985-9B3932CFC20F.jpeg
I wanted one for years but never saw one when I had cash in hand. A few years ago I did find a nice XXII. But not so lucky to get an Italian version, I'm thinking there are 4 versions of the semi auto and then the bolt action version. Very nice full sized rifles

I have owned one of these Weatherby 22's for about 40 years or so. It has a tube Magazine, and its a really beautiful rifle. It have never been able to feed the second or third round in to the chamber , so I shoot it single shot only . I have tried Winchester and Remington and CCI Mini Mags. All are about 36 Grain bullets at 1260 fps. No difference. Any thoughts guys or just send it to Weatherby to see if they can fix it???

In Feb of 2022 I responded to this thread. I own a Weatherby Mark XX11, tube magazine . It would not feed and function. I tried many brands of 22 LR . I had it sent from Gun Smith to Gunsmith, to no avail. It was a very pretty single shot 22. That was it. Then I found a gunsmith in Paterson N.J. With nothing to lose , I gave the rifle to him to try and fix it. A week later it was ready. He said he needed to replace two or three springs. I think he made one . Now the rifle will now fire 40 grain Winchester 22 LR only. It feeds and fires those rounds very well. After 40 years , I can now enjoy it. Yes It has the single shot selector, as that was a common feature on that rifle. Enjoy yours Buddy If should ever miss behave, contact me and Ill send you the contact for the gunsmith in Paterson.

Attachments

• IMG_2521 weatherby 22  with 12 X leupold  Oct 20  21.jpg
    IMG_2521 weatherby 22 with 12 X leupold Oct 20 21.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2522Weatherby 22 Oct 20th  20  leupold  12X.jpg
    IMG_2522Weatherby 22 Oct 20th 20 leupold 12X.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55