Any traditional archers?

I have hunted since I was 15 years old with a Martin Dream Catcher recurve, so about 12 years. My father uses a custom made long bow, and we build our own arrows. I do not practice enough anymore, so my max distance is about 25ish yards, but when I was a teenager I used to compete in 4-H, and I was shooting 4" groups at 30 yards...those days are long past me though ha ha, sadly life has taken over, and i cannot spend as much time behind the stick and string.

I still spend a couple weeks every year stumbling around the woods with a sharp stick and bow, and every year I make more memories. I love the feeling, as well as the challenge.

As a kid, I started out with a recurve. I think I paid about $50-75 for it brand new in around 1980. I shot that thing till I couldn't pull it back, then put it down until the next night.
Shot a lot of carp with it.
When I got tired of eating squirrels shot with a .22, I started carrying my bow. Still had roast squirrel now and then, but what a challenge!
In about '85 I bought my first compound, a Pro Line XT Magnum. Never did put sights on it. Sold it a few years later when I was low on cash.
I had a friend who won a bow in a big buck contest with a buck he shot at Fort Ripley. He already had a good bow, so he and his brother gave me his prize for Christmas.
It was another Pro Line. Haven't put sights on this one, either. I've tried a couple of different kinds, but still like shooting instinctive.
I still have that bow, and although I got away from bowhunting a few years ago, I introduced my wife to it and now we have been doing more of that than rifle hunting. She doesn't carry a bow, but really enjoys calling. She has called elk to within just 5- 10 feet of us and now she's actually thinking about getting herself a bow and I may break out that old recurve!
Like you said, Cody, it's the memories.
What an adventure!

48DA8A0D-4480-43E4-B379-290771456F92.jpeg

Found this old picture since my previous post on this thread. My longest(and luckiest)archery game shot at 47 yards(actually paces) with an old 1957 Bear Kodak, 54# recurve and one of my self made cedar arrows. I still have that old bow.

I returned to the simple recurve archery last year, the time has come to step up to the next stage of this with a better quality bow that uses ILF changeable limbs.

I started off with a PSE Heritage Razorback @ 35lb in 62",,, a little bit short for my 28" draw, so I'm doing the 68" long Recurve Bow this spring.

2 sets of limbs,,, 36 and 44 lb.

I've been using the instinctive sight idea on this bow, and it's been the most rewarding adventure to date.

More to follow when I step up the game plan .

Western Canada Don

I always get excited when this thread gets revived. Most of my early hunting days were with a stickbow. I tried the compound when first introduced in the 70's but after a couple of whitetails I reverted back. Shown is is first recurve bought at age 16 in 1967, a Near Grizzly, and
(Top)my current bow a Schafer
Silvertip.
FB88687D-906B-46EE-A8BD-B0325170A343.jpeg
A8446B40-F7CE-43EF-8702-30E27C97C822.jpeg

I hear yha Gray Fox, that there is one awesome looking bow. I can see where your passion comes from in traditional archery.

I enjoy a bit of everything out-doors, archery happens to be one of them.

The off season of not Harvesting game allows for this up here in the cold winter days here in Western Canada.

I played with archery on & off for 30 years ,more so in the last 17,,, the time has come to return to bare bow Recurve since its super fun, inexpensive to shoot & maintain, and I like the idea of the take-down bows.

I made up a long camo Fanny-Pack so I can pack my bow & arrows every where I go, this allows me to take it to work, out West on the adventures, ice fishing, stores away nice in the ATV Quad box, and plink away at the camp site in the morning or at night.

I've been shooting a PSE Heritage Razorback 35lb bow as of last year, but the time has come to switch up to the ILF (International Limb Fit) bow .

I'm doing the 25" Olympic aluminum riser with a custom laminated wood handle, 68" and 32 lb limbs for plinking.
Then order some 44 lb limbs.

This bow will be set up as a bare bow, no sights, Frugal plastic arrow rest, finger Yost 3 under finger tab, Yost flat disk balance weigth, and 30" 500 spine shafts with feathers.

Archey offers a bit of the relaxing side of things in my world, of course it comes with its challanges,,, but what part in life doesn't have this going on.

The compound archery stuff is fun, but the costs of it is getting pricey,,, so the time has come to get back to basics.

Western Canada Don

Last edited:
Thanks Don, I have been an traditional archer and collector since I was 14. Also have several longbows, in particular, the Howard Hill bows. The bow called Green Dragon on the far left(1950's) was signed by Hill personally.
D129827B-62F5-4D1C-8235-3A252B188959.jpeg

Holly Molly Bat-Man, you are part of the Living Legends GF, I have yet to try a long bow in all my years.

Now you got me thinking since us traditional archer folks can't have just 1 bow. LOL.

So Gray Fox, what is the pros of Long Bow,,, I heard they are silky smoooooth.
Other than that I know very little about them.

If I recall, they make take-down long bows to.

If I had room all the time in the trucks and equipment I drive, then I'd own 1 peace units all the way. But being on the road across Western Canada and the travelling trips I go,.I find it easier to use take-down bows.

At one time I packed my compound bow every where, big and bulky, seemed that every time I used it I'd need this and that at the end of every shoot.

Tighten this, adjust that, change ,change, and more change of endless. And now the costs of today's new (High Tech) rigs are threw the roof up here in Canada / Cnd funds $$$.

It's not uncommon to drop $2000 +++ on a quality set-up plus the extras.

Both shooters at the shooting line today dropped $3200, the other fellow came in just shy of that.

Then Old Nick at the far end of the range was shooting a 44/46 lb bare shaft Long Bow that he made him self.

He wasn't getting the tight groups nor the ft-lbs energy like the other shooters,,, but when it comes to Harvesting Deer, rabbits, Grouse and Pigeons,,, he has no problems in those areas.
Nick uses his Home made 54 lb recurve when he goes after Elk & Moose,,, he's a very accomplished game harvester.

That's one reason that I back tracked from the world that spinning forward, the cost of advancements gets hard on the wallet, nothing wrong with this either.

Yes,,, I'm guilty of dumping cash of the few rifles I own, but I'd like to keep tabs in the archery category for some reason. LOL.

Lots to learn over the many years, instinctive shooting is taking me a whole new direction. I can't wait to loose lots of arrows this year as I build up some skills.

Awesome collection by the way GF.
The archery folks in our area are super nice folks, the gals, kids, and dads all join in on this sport.

Don from Western Canada

I started with a Bear Kodiak Magnum at age 14 (51 years ago). I transitioned to compounds in 1980 and went back to traditional in the 90s along with compound alternating on hunts depending on what location I hunted. I tried all the top end recurves and long bows and ended up with a Jerry Fisher Bamboo/Pacific Yew long bow and a custom osage orange self bow. I have killed deer with all of them to include flint arrowheads. Now IF I bowhunt I am forced to use a crossbow due to operations and injuries from 24 years in SOF. IF you really want to see what the long bow is capable off do some research on Howard Hill and some of his feats. He did all the shots in "Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn to include using real broadheads shooting into pieces of wood on the stuntmens chest. He won 196 tournaments in a row.

I shot a longbow for about twenty years until an arm injury did me in. I have always made my own cedar arrows. The difference is really a matter of personal preference for the style of bow. I am able to shoot both equally well but find the longbow is a bit more forgiving to errors in form, and I like the feather like weight. Like recurves, they are available in takedown style. Because a long bow shoots at a slower speed, you generally need to shoot a heavier draw weight. My recurves are 50-55#, my longbows 55-65#. Once the longbow is mastered, it's very difficult to return to a recurve. I'd highly recommend Howard Hills book, Hunting the Hard Way.

I'm going to look at a take-down long bow Gary Wolf, they have that lingering appeal in my mind,,, my friend up here named Nick builds Recurve and Long Bows.

I'll see what he has on the go this year.

Thanks for the post Bounty Hunter, I will check out Howard Hill,,, I'm guessing he had put some tracks on the ground in the archery world.
One of my favourite reads was Al Henderson the 1977 USA Olympic coach,,, I wish I would of had the chance to meet him. It was his writings that got me into archery.

Any-Who

I took the plung yesterday to add a new bow to life, I'm now part of the ILF family of traditional archery, this puts me at 3 bows in total. When the new unit comes in, the Recurve Bow & arrows that I'm using right now becomes a (Loner Bow) to one of my close friends that excels with interests in this sport.

So it was buckle down time at getting this bow as close to traditional archery as I can get it,,, the bow & arrows in combination.

I'm not going to dial it in 100% since its the hands of the new holder to do this on thier own, of course I'll introduce them to some good folks at the range that will offer up ideas and suggestions along with my help to get them up to speed.

The only thing I would ask of them is, if they up-grade into what ever archery category they choose,,, "if" they buy a bow they want,,, I hope they return the (Loner Bow) so it can go to the next person in line.

That way I can bring more people into this fun & exciting sport of good times, and well with in their means since its all about keeping the funds in check,,, traditional archey offers this.
I see a frugal set of soft 30 lb limbs showing up for this (Loner Bow) so they can get up to speed faster,,, of course the 35 lb'ers go in the package as they might enjoy getting the chance to find out for them selves that draw weight does make a difference. LOL.

Folks that have had very little to do with stick & arrows or those that have never shot one will now get a free kick at the can, this is how I can offer up some good times that will cost me nothing.

Today is archery ice fishing day up here in Western Canada, set the fishing hole trip rigs, shoot some archey and wait for the flags to pop-up.

My good friend built a toasty warm ice fishing shack to stay warm in, and my shooting range is further than I can fire off those arrows. LOL.
I'm going to show my friend the long shot today, both of us will see who can reach out the furthest.

Life is all about good times if we choose follow its path.

Western Canada Don

OK, here's the Kanadian Knuck Distance Bomb Shoot challange is on the go today.

35 lb PSE Heritage Razorback.
410gr fully loaded Gold Tip Arrow.
And some White Clouds to give me Angle.

Group A
Distance. Wide. Deep
732' . 63' 16'

Group B
690' 45' 30'

Group C
738' 52' 27'

Looks like I got my work cut out for me today with 5 to 10 mpr wind gusts .
Now if I can just get those land-mark clouds to stay put .

Ice fish and archery do go hand and hand you know. LOL

From lost on the Lake Don

Trad rocks

This is the first bow that I've had good success shooting Right & Left handed.

Funny thing is that I shoot better groups left handed with a right hand bow.

So the next long distant European bomb shots are going to see a change up.

I have a plate with a 90 degree bend on it , the long side of the plate will get cut so it's a point, then I'll attach a degree level to the bow.

The 90 degree bend gets a bubble level glued to it.
Adjust the degree of angle,,, watch the bubble as I raise the bow,,, and once it reaches the sweet spot,,, let it rip.

The distance gap will deffinatly improve.

The trick of Right to Left / Width, gets a different gage, a plane old compass, this will work better then land marks or using the drifting clouds over head .

The European folks are pretty good at this rainbow arrow shooting as they are pretty successful at getting those arrows onto the 6' target.

If a person has to shoot in the cross winds, it is wize to pick up a wind meter.
That way we can adjust the width of shot placement.

Good times ahead with the Trad Bow.

Don

Day 5 of endless traditional bare bow archery is on the go,,,, just closing in on the 2000 launches for 2018,,, Ye Ha

Now I got time to run threw the Al Henderson traditional archers form one more time .

Getting the body planted & all the alignment points.

Load the stick and plan the draw while looking at the tiny V ring.

Draw in sequence with memory intact ending up with point of aim off the V.

Secondary check as I start my full draw process,,, anchor point to target the same time my endless draw.

If my timing is off, I instinctively go into the figer 8 sweep,,, my full draw to launch time is normally 1 to 1 1/2 seconds,,, max of 2 at the most doing the 8.

This by far is one of those rewarding out-door, fun, Frugal, ways to spend the winter, and it improves my odds of harvesting a black bear in late spring,,, if it plays out this way.

Archey all by its self is rewarding since it teaches us so much, and we can take it every where we go.

My new bow is coming with 30 lb limbs so I can join in on 3D stuff in door,,, then switch out limbs to 38 lb for out door stuff.

The third set of 42 lb limbs for hunting.
$250 Cnd funds for endless shooting time. The only time it gets costly is when the lost and broken arrows need replacing. LOL

From bent and broken arrow Don

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.