Any traditional archers?

J.james

Anyone here shoot or hunt with a longbow or recurve?
If so what do you hunt and at what distance? I'm curious about the long range hunting ability of traditional equipment as it's somewhat harder to master long range shooting than with a compound set up with sights.
Thanks, James:cool:

I have been a fanatic, traditional archer for over four decades. When I started it wasn't called "traditional" archery. Shot a Howard Hill longbow for about 25 years, currently shoot a Schafer Silvertip recurve. For me it's at the other end of the spectrum from LR rifle hunting and offers a different, but equivalent challenge and addiction that can last a lifetime. While I did shoot one deer with a compound back in 1979, it didn't appeal to me, still doesn't. Depending on the size of the quarry, shots with a stickbow are generally under 50 yards, with 20 yards or less, typical. Stealth and shooting proficiency are the primary skills. My longest kill on a whitetail was 43 yards, rabbit at 47 yards.

Good to know I'm not the only one greyfox. those distances are very impressive and I doubt I'll ever be able to take take shots like that.

I've been using trad gear now for almost 25yrs. Mostly hunting whitetails & turkey here in the Midwest. Shot my first deer with a 60# super kodia mag @ 3 yards. Hunt mostly out of tree stands & ground blinds. Longest shot a doe @ 22yds. Not that i don't practice out to longer distances, 60-70-80+ on deer sized 3D's. Just never had a viable shot out long distance. I have transitioned thru several longbows & recurves since my early hunting days. Matloks, Harrisons, & Black Widows, Oh my! Been using a PSE ilf riser & 60# BF Extremes lately if ever I had great long range traditional hunting setup this is it for me. 68# @31" w/victory 300 hv shafts & 125 Ace standards, a 435gr arrow gives 237fps. Not too shabby for grad gear.

Getting so close to the critter that you could hear and feel their breathing is Bowhunting challenge with trad gear - not LR. I have stalked in and harvested game as close as 5 yds and the "rush" is simply heart pounding. :D

My hunting buddy is mostly traditional.He has been over all MT state champ and I think he qualified for worlds in 3d 3 times.He has a 1/2 dozen Shaffer bows in recurve and long bow,some take down.Real good friend of his is equal.Seen him connect out to 60 yrds.Hes very tight to 45.He is good friend with Dave that was taught by the late Paul Schaffer,that is the bower now.Paul was witnessed shooting a lioness at 90 yrds in his day.Have one of his bows but Im best with my training wheels

I shoot a Roy Hall custom Apache longbow. 54lbs. @28". Grew up with a compound. I was fascinated with the shots my dad used to make with his old browning recurve. So I got started into the traditional stuf. I've had had a lot of fun. Taken deer, two coyotes, a fox, and a couple coons. 25yds is my max range. Not comfortable any further. I really haven't had time to mess with my bow the last couple years. It is time consuming. But I do miss it.

I learned with a straight bow (circa 1955) and eventually "graduated" to a recurve but I've never considered them suitable for "long range". Even though I'll shoot targets out to longer distances I've always felt that bow hunting was more about stealth than making the kill so I believe thirty yards is "long range" enough. I no longer have the strength to draw a stout straight or recurve. I tried on a compound a couple of years ago but never followed through with adapting to it.

I do a lot of trad hunting. It's amazing and shooting a doe with trad gear is as exciting to me as shooting a big buck with training wheels. I can hold a softball at 35 yards but it took me a long time to get there. Totally worth it and with some good instruction most can get pretty proficient to 18-20 in a few months to a year. If you're prepared to put in the time It's amazing but if you're looking for the instant gratificion of a compound that most could hunt with to 30 after some basic instruction and a few hours of practice it may not be for you. I recommend putting in the time you won't look back.

I agree with some of the other posters. . .trade gear is the utmost rewarding pinnacle in the archery world. I started out with a recurve, several different used Bear's to be exact. I shot these in my early teens and then was introduce to the speed and accuracy of the compound. . . shot the training wheels for a decade and switched back to the O'le Stick-n-String. I mostly shoot Blackwidows, I have 2 recurve TD's and 1 longbow, I also have 2 Robertson Stick Bows I shoot fairly well too. My go-to bow is my 60" Blackwidow SAIII. It is 68# @ 29" and I shoot the "old school" Beeman carbon arrows with thick weedeater line inside for added weight and a 150 gr. Snuffer on the business end. I bought 10 doz. (in fear they would quit making them with my luck) of these back in the day because they were practically indestructible and as long as you could pop a hole with the broadhead and feral the rest of the shaft would just glide on through, I still have a few left. I too keep my shots inside of 35 yards on game animals, but will punch target bags at further distances. I have shot whitetails and hogs along with a few gators and countless fish here in the states and several plains game animals in Africa. My biggest animals have been Kudu, Waterbuck and Eland. Penetration on the Eland was a sight! I watched this group of bulls come down a trail off the mountain and was hidden at a fork in the trail. At 31 yards I put the arrow tight behind his shoulder, he spun around nipping at his side like something was biting him and I could see a couple inches of my knock section on his left side and the broadhead sticking out of his right side. After a few moments he decided he was going to run back the way he and his buddies came, but he only made it a short distance before the drunk stumble kicked in. If you have a large enough back stop you can try this form of practice, it did wonders for me and my A.D.D. – LOL. Instinctive shooting is all about concentration, you need to pick and focus on one little spot. . .a single hair if you could and shoot for it. What my problem was, is I was taking in everything else going on around me and wouldn't pick the "one" spot. What was told to me by a very avid shooter was to shoot at night in the pure dark! ! ! He said to get a small light and put it at the back stop and pull, anchor, concentrate and shoot. . .do it till you master it and then step back 5 yards. So, I got a Christmas light string that I could have one of the tiniest lights on it a began my practice and it was a HUGE improvement for me. . .like night and day – LOL. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but keep at it. It is some of the best and rewarding hunting you'll ever do. Good luck.

Trad bow hunting is great. I wish I had started earlier. My bow is a Sandy Biles longbow. Like others posted most shots are 20yd or less. The up close aspect is a challenge all its own. I say give it a try.

I know it's old, but thought the thread could use some reviving. Great responses here. Great response from Steel Shooter--may try his suggestion sometime. Have hunted game for years with my recurves. Absolutely love small game with them especially bowfishing and pine squirrels. Have actually thought of using an el cheapo Samick target recurve with sights for prairie dog shooting. Could be the next step for me. Had a 70 lb. Groves Spitfire once a long time ago but it was too much for me and I sold it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.