Any Experience w/ Bertram Brass 7mm STW

jnwise

Just wondering if anyone has experience using Bertram Brass ( out of Australia) for reloading the 7mm STW? Thanks in advance.

I think most of us have just gotten so used to there not being anything except nosler and most of us have been using 300 h&h, 375 h&h, and 300 weatherby for so long. The idea of a another source of actual 7mm STW brass for a good price is, well, unexpected.

Please let us know if it is any good.

I don't know anyone shooting their STW brass, I think it's a new offering. There are a lot of guys shooting the big African Nitro Express calibers that swear by it but if you do some reading you will find there have been some guys that had bad experiences with it in other calibers.

Be sure and let us know how it shoots for you.

Where did you get it and what was the cost?

I've heard that Shawn Carlock uses it for his 338 Edge and has nothing but good things to say about it.

Interested in hearing how you make out.

I don't have any experience in the STW but I have another caliber and the brass seems on the soft side.
If you try it and the pockets go to heck on you then you will know it's soft, let us know.
BB

Just finished the brass inspection. Compared 20 Bertram 7mm STW brass versus 20 Nosler 7mm STW brass. Bertram's were 2.840 - 2.849 in long. Noslers were all 2.835 in with maybe one that was a thousandth off at 2.834. Bertram's cases weighed between 258.9 gr - 268.0 gr. Nosler's were 257.2 gr - 258.3gr. The flash hole is larger on the Bertram brass. Primer pocket and necks look good. I'll size them tomorrow when I get the RCBS dies properly set up.

Just finished the brass inspection. Compared 20 Bertram 7mm STW brass versus 20 Nosler 7mm STW brass. Bertram's were 2.840 - 2.849 in long. Noslers were all 2.835 in with maybe one that was a thousandth off at 2.834. Bertram's cases weighed between 258.9 gr - 268.0 gr. Nosler's were 257.2 gr - 258.3gr. The flash hole is larger on the Bertram brass. Primer pocket and necks look good. I'll size them tomorrow when I get the RCBS dies properly set up.
sounds pretty good so far. I tend to always trim my new brass the first time I load it just to make sure we're starting with consistency.

If they seem too soft you can heat and quench them to stiffen it up a bit, just don't go overboard. I had some nosler brass one time that was unusually soft and I was able to get it under control pretty quickly that way.

Recent Posts