Antelope harvest 2016

Punisher

I just got back from my 2016 Antelope hunt.

I spent two days before season scouting where the biggest bucks were in the unit (not a trophy unit by any means) but I know the territory and have friends in the area.

We found two bucks of interest. My Vortex spotter was back at Vortex for repairs for the second time this year, so we only had our binos and had to make due.

Opening morning, we walked out about an hour before sunrise to get into the middle of some wide open country. As the sun came up, we noticed that the two bucks we were watching had drawn the attention of all of the locals. In all, 6 other hunters were chasing him on a single square section of public land. I watched the other hunters and noticed that they were aware of me as well.

It didn't take long before a group of two hunters started walking across the barren landscape towards where the two bucks were rutting and chasing does hard.

There wasn't enough time to decide which buck was bigger, so I found one of the two, laid down and ranged him at 545 yards and held strong to compensate for the 15-30mph gusts and put one in the chest on the first shot.

It was over within 20 minutes of sun up, but it was a great experience. We returned the next day to the same spot and took the other buck we were watching within 200 yards of where mine had died.

It was really incredible to harvest a buck under a little pressure in that situation. I'm sure the other hunters were less than amused, but that is why I practice. To give myself an edge over my game. Not that I ever imagined I would have that competitive of Hunter pressure.

My goat

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 258
I went to Wyoming. I lived there when I was younger. Every few years I go back to hunt with friends.

I filled out a score sheet on this one and am taking it to an official scorer with SCI at my next opportunity.

I'm pretty hesitant to say the score, but it had a ton of mass points! Should go gold medal and then some.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.