Another crappy opening day in michigan

So another crappy opening day in Michigan has come and gone. Think I'll stay with outfitters out of this state.

I was born in Michigan and hunted there when old enough, until I moved to Alaska at the age of 23. Most of the deer killed on public land in Michigan were 1 1/2 year old bucks. Simply too much hunting pressure for the bucks to survive thru their first rifle season on State/public land. On opening day, you couldn't help but think there were more hunters in the woods than there were deer. So I know the feeling. Where I hunt now in Alaska, I often never even see another hunter.

Private club land was different in Michigan. But even there, the bucks didn't seem to grow the large antlers like in some of the other States. I'm referring to the West Branch to Alpena area of the lower Peninsula. Really the only area I hunted for deer there. We archery hunted more than anything from the late 1960s until I left in 1978. But as I got older, I experienced a few rifle seasons also.

Can not beat Idaho. Elk hunting this year we saw over 140 head before we quite counting. Deer we can get up to 3 tags in certain units with a 90% success ratio. Unit 45 a draw doe hunt is guarentted success with a shot you want from 50 yds to infinity.Granted you have to know where to go but most are over the counter tags that you do not even have to be lucky in the lottery....YOU DAM WELL BE IN SHAPE! These are in country most do not want to work a little bit for.

I would be more than willing to work for it. I just spent thousands of dollars in food plots and feed this year to have people sit on a bucket just off of my property to catch the deer coming and going. No one in Michigan puts in any work to hunt. Hell you should have seen the people out in the woods the day before season just at dark trying to scout and put up stands. Really suck cause we have good genetics where I'm at. I would also love to guide some day but it won't be here. I'm stuck helping noobs get their first deer. Have been take a newbie every year so far at least they can shoot a doe.

For a challenging but very successful Mule Deer hunt check out unit 45. A doe tag is almost a guarantee and is just as challenging as a buck. The buck hunt there is a very hard draw. For over the counter Elk and deer the Salmon region is a guarantee huge bull. Again you better be willing to work for it. You will see bulls up to the 380 class. White Tail deer are plentiful. Most areas around the Clearwater are loaded with Whitetail. Unit 49 is a open Mule deer Buck hunt. You need to get into the backcountry away from the city boy road hunters and its a great hunt with bucks in the 28 inch range.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.