AND the KO2M "Controversy" Begins

Hello,

Too bad you decided to remove your post, as it was your direct first hand experience of how you viewed the event and it's "controversy".

THEIS
I thought about it and just really don't want to get in a ****ing match as I Know AB is a Sponsor here.

Here is what I posted on Snipershide

oneshot.onehit replied
07-03-2017, 07:39 PM
It's interesting how you read the comments on many of the various web sites and listen to the pros and cons in reference to the KO2M, bad news seem to spread faster and spin off then any of the good.

One thing that always seems to stand out is how folks rant about how an event was managed or who had an advantage or how something was screwed up and unfair - and most of the folks bitching were not even at the event, this all falls back on what they heard or assumed. One of my pet peeves are folks that pass along info that is of no validation versus hands on and many who are trying to better themselves fall pry to the hearsay.

Yes the KO2M had a few hiccups, there aren't many high pressure events that don't experience a bobble to two.
There was nothing astronomically special about the rifles in fact they all had to weigh under 50# and this would lean more towards the heavy barreled 50s and actually having to lay prone using a bi-pod and a rear bag made it more interesting as far as the challenge. Hell one individual had to take his muzzle break off of a 50 cal necked down to a 375 and take a beating pulling the trigger because he was just over the weight limit - never heard any bitching from him, he manned up and did what he had to.

Folks bitching that Walter had some kind of advantage just because he busted his *** trying to make this shoot possible with the hellish task of hanging heavy steel on the mountain side - ********, every day is a new day with the environments and wind yet alone he had to focus on making sure things were running smoothly and keeping the firing range safe while others just had to focus on their objectives hoping to place a bullet on the spot. For the record I don't know him so theres no favoritism.

I'm just glad folks had a opportunity to shoot some long range targets at distance and on a mountain side that made it interesting.
Every shooter had the opportunity to study the target grid, weather, winds, mirage and google earth.

After the two qualifying days they were already taking notes on what needed to be addressed it was good to see that they were serious about it and taking notes while talking with the shooters who had opinions or ideas to better the program on the little issues that were surfacing, keep in mind this is only the third year of this event and it is only getting more critical and percision with the progression in equipment and technology.

Off hand some of the issues that are being addressed that I'm aware.
The scoring in progression with the targets and the rewarding of actully hitting or walking the targets all the way out.
Time management in the staging area for everyone from the first shooter to the last.
Crowd control within shooting area be it the teams or bystanders

There's probably more surfacing as time goes on

The push for multiple classes is only a push for more winners - the event is a ELR on top of ELR the target size is fair everyone knows what the goal is for distance and work off of that.

Prior to three years ago there was not a lot to offer in a event as of the KO2M
So what has happened in last three years - a huge benefit to the ELR community, look at the advancement in accuracy pushing to the distances that most folks said couldn't be done. Bullet manufacturers, stocks, optics, advancements in the ability to aim farther and accurate. Bottom line - technology.

The spin off of this more locations and opportunitys to shoot with managed ELR events like the KO2M you have Texas, Nevada, theres another brewing in the north west somewhere its only going to get better. California has been running their ULR events

Many folks are upset with the over powering effect that the AB team had, maybe it was all the team shirts I don't know. Yes they pushed the limits known and unknown to them but it is their job to push for very bit of technology possible to make a hit. The harder they work on it as well as all of us is what opens doors to new ideas and practices to make folks shoot accurately beyond their expectations.

For the most part everyone there seemed to have a great time and took something of experience or knowledge back home with them. I was just a average joe country kid wearing a tea shirt from the flat swamp land and trees of WI.

We had as much opportunity to prepare for this like anyone else, in short

We did the best we could here in WI. With limited distance, winters and wet springs
# took a trip to Colorado on our way down and hooked up with some folks that allowed us a chance to check our equipment and drops the best we could
# arrived at the event site and confirmed our zeros on a authorized rifle range at the NRA center
# spent hours studying the mountain side and watching the effects of the wind and mirage
We had a game plan and had a blast
One of us ended up finishing in the top 5 with a rifle he built himself as well as making his own bullets in a small shop
Another had the honor of being the only person to mess the paint up on all the qualifier targets including the Coldbore

We need the manufacturers to be involved- this is the only way of technology getting better
We need folks like AB and others to test and push the envelope

Good or bad things will only get better as this grows hell I remember not so long ago we were all called bullshitters for pushing the 338s well beyond a 1000 yards

So I hope more events grow off of this and we can continue pushing the limits with repetitive accuracy.

Cheers
Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_2925.PNG
    IMG_2925.PNG
    939.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.