AI reloading

sqdougherty

I'm a pretty experienced reloader, but I have never done any AI. reloading. I'm thinking of making the jump to a 260ai, but I'm not entirely sure what dies I need.

Here are my questions:

• Is the Hydraulic Form Die a must have?
  • When working up a load, should I use the parent cartridge data exclusively or should I add or reduce powder charges?
  • Is there a general rule of thumb for selecting a powder? Little faster burning, little slower burning than recommended for parent cartridge?
  • Can I use the neck sizing die and bullet seating die from the 260rem that I already have?
Thanks

Last edited:
1. No
2. Use same charge for forming.
3. Normally, the same powder works in both.
4. Do you only neck size? If not, you'll need an AI die to bump shoulders. Same bullet seater generally works.
Typically, I only neck size. I've been running the Wilson expanding madrel to have more consistent neck tension. Which for now seems to help reduce the case lengthening so far (about 5 reloads on some pieces of brass)

If a true Achley chamber there should be a slight crush fit of new brass in the AI chamber(at neck-shoulder junction). This, for fire forming.
Then you need a 260AI sizing die, for whatever shoulder/body sizing is in your plan.
Seating die I'm not sure about. The Ackley improvement also reduces body taper, so AI cases might not fit your standard 260 seating die.
Standard 260 load for fire forming. will take a few formings to settle.
Best powder to work up a load with would suit the new formed cartridge. You now have more H20 capacity.

If a true Achley chamber there should be a slight crush fit of new brass in the AI chamber(at neck-shoulder junction). This, for fire forming.
Then you need a 260AI sizing die, for whatever shoulder/body sizing is in your plan.
Seating die I'm not sure about. The Ackley improvement also reduces body taper, so AI cases might not fit your standard 260 seating die.
Standard 260 load for fire forming. will take a few formings to settle.
Best powder to work up a load with would suit the new formed cartridge. You now have more H20 capacity.
Awesome! Thank you

All great advice above. If you are only neck sizing you will eventually have to bump the shoulder so you may as well get an AI sizing die. When I don't need to bump shoulders I use of all things a Lee collet neck die for a standard 260 and then set final interference with an expanding mandrel. I have a set of Whidden custom dies for both the sizer (full length click adjustable bushing die) and seating but recently had a Wilson inline seater die made using the reamer that cut my chamber. I use an arbor press for seating with those and the consistency is insane.

You will love the 260AI.

Is the switch to an ai for the extra boost from a touch of powder.....what you are wanting......
I have a 280ai...and the boost is nice..but I can also buy new brass..no no fire forming....
But from a 260 to a 260ai.....why not jump to a 65284..use lapua brass......
Just for thought.....

Is the switch to an ai for the extra boost from a touch of powder.....what you are wanting......
I have a 280ai...and the boost is nice..but I can also buy new brass..no no fire forming....
But from a 260 to a 260ai.....why not jump to a 65284..use lapua brass......
Just for thought.....
6.5-284 really needs at least a medium length action or a long action to gain the most advantage.

Can I use the neck sizing die and bullet seating die from the 260rem that I already have?
Yes, the only die I've been required to buy for my AIs was a new bushing FL die to set the shoulders. Everything else interchanges. If you WANT an in-line seating die, custom die, etc, go for it, but from a bare minimum perspective some kind of an FL die for the AI chambering is the only difference. Redding makes a bunch of AI dies and sells them separately, those are what I use.

6.5-284 really needs at least a medium length action or a long action to gain the most advantage.
X2. Short action will max out around 2.800-2.900", and my 6.5-284 COL measures 3.180" to the lands, and 3.030" stuffed. If he's using a short action it'll neuter the 6.5-284.

use lapua brass......
I changed to Peterson, my 6.5-284 Lapua brass was having a donut trying to expand it to turn the necks, it was a solid 0.001" lip at the neck/shoulder junction that I was going to have to cut out.