A 'River Monster' story

Freebore

July19, 2014

It was slow morning on the mighty Susquehanna river with only one bite and it was a 4 lb channel catfish. Johnny and I decided to move into 32 feet of water as the temp was down thinking the fish may have gone into a 'I ain't eating mode'.

After another hour of not a touch we decided to pull up anchor and head to Kevin's secret spot. We always get a decent Flathead out of it at least one anyhow.

After about 20 mins and a nice cruise up river we arrived, found the secret spot and dropped anchor. Only 15' of water here but we have some current. We set out all 6 rods with fresh bluegills on ever rod.

Having looked at each other after all rods set we had the first rod out start clicking away. You see you have to let them swim away with the bait and give them time to swallow the bait. After over 137 feet on the line counter Kevin set the hook and said its a good one passing the rod to Johnny up front.

You see 2 years ago he caught some 10 lb Flatheads he thought they were big. I told him we got 50 pounders in this river. So you see this year Johnny was on a mission. He wanted a River Monster this time. A BIG ONE.

Johnny battled to get line back only to have the 'River Monster' take it back. This went on for quite a while. Johnny fought that fish with only the determination of an avid fisherman could have.

'Keep the rod into him Johnny, let the rod whoop 'em. Get a few feet at a time. Go down on the rod and get a couple of cranks on the reel and pull steady up on the rod. Keep the pressure on him Johnny'! You'll get em'!!

Johnny kept the bend in the rod as best he could only to have that River Monster try and take everything out his grip.

Finally after what seemed like 30 mins but was really only 18 min we saw the egg sinker first. Then.... the 'River Monster' came into view.

Holy cow look at the size of that fish!! Net ready...first swipe...a miss...is this 'frign net gonna be big enough?!

Second shot....in the net......Johnny give me hand with the net I can't 'me get in myself.

The net hit the deck and there lied Johnny's 'River Monster' hooked only by a piece of thin lip skin. We put the tape to him. A bit over 41". Back home on the scale 36lb 51/2 oz.

You did one hell of job on that rod with your 'River Monster' my 80 yr old friend.
To land a fish of that size, that long of a battle on only a 15lb leader and 20lb main line took great finesse, determination and you listened to a bit of coaching very well.

Congrats Johnny!

Your fishn' bud Kevin

Attachments

• River Monster.jpg
    River Monster.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 203
Harperc,
Thank You.

Barrelnut,
Johnny's from north Jersey right across from NYC. He has no clue what a hush puppy is!
I did fillet it out, 2 huge pieces, cut into steaks. Gave to mail lady.
The mrs and I don't like catfish. We eat every kind of fish except cat. Blues, Channels, Flathead, Bullheads....grilled, fried, baked, broiled just don't like catfish.

Great story Congrats to you fishing partner........Glad to hear he is till out there!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.