A-Bolt II 7mm

sam726

I have a A-Bolt II Browning 7mm Mag. I am curious if this would be a good gun for getting into long range hunting? My other question is, can this action be modified easily to convert to 1000 yard rifle. I am liking the .284 non magnum setup. Can this one be modified to a non magnum round? Has anyone modified this type of setup.

Thanks
Sam

Welcome to the forum Sam. If your A-Bolt shoots like all of mine, you won't have any problems. With the thin barrel, you will have to let your barrel cool between shots, during practice. You would have to change the bolt face to go to a 284 Win., as it is smaller. You will find much helpful information on this site. Just listen and learn. Where in NA are you ? I'm from up that way myself. Good Luck.
bb204

Thanks for the reply. Would headed spacing be an issue after changing the bolt space or are the cartridges the same OAL? Im in Huntsville Area, you?

I love the gun but wish it didnt kick as bad as it does. 7mag kicks like a mule. I woild love to convert it to .284 Win. Ive got a friend that just built one and love it.

I love the gun but wish it didnt kick as bad as it does. 7mag kicks like a mule.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

There are plenty of excellent muzzle brakes in the market to choose from nowadays with very reasonable prices ($50 and up + ~$100 for install). It will tame the felt recoil comparable to that of .243s not to mention significantly reducing the muzzle jump/rise.

[ame]https://youtu.be/5d_wwTYuWaI?t=1[/ame]

Being able to spot targets on impact is priceless. I understand that muzzle brake is not for everybody but you might want to consider it. I am not recoil sensitive but I tried my first muzzle brake on my .300 WM (shot it for nearly 20 years without it) in 2003 and it now pleasant to shoot; all my hunting rifles (magnums and non-magnums) now sports a muzzle brake or suppressor.

Cheers!

Thanks for the muzzle brake information. I may get me one for my 7mm. I love the gun, just hate the recoil. I havent done much taking guns apart, i.e. barrells, but may consider taking this one apart and sending it to be machined for a MB.

Thanks for the muzzle brake information. I may get me one for my 7mm. I love the gun, just hate the recoil. I havent done much taking guns apart, i.e. barrells, but may consider taking this one apart and sending it to be machined for a MB.

Another option is a Clamp-On Brakes for Rifles : Witt Machine or similar ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/ALWIeyyNcxo?t=9[/ame]

There a few members here that's got them and are pleased with it.

Sam,
To change from 7mm Mag to 284 would require a re-barrel or a barrel set back and rechamber, if there was enough barrel to do this. The 284 is a short action chambering, and the 7mm Mag is a long action. I think you would be much better off to look into a muzzle brake for your gun , as Feenix suggested. Tooter Meredith is a gunsmith in the Athens area, that I have never used, but have heard good things about him. You might have trouble finding someone in that area to work on an A-Bolt. I don't know why. There is not a lot of after market support for the A-Bolt actions. You can get a trigger spring kit from Timney, that is easy to install, and is a good upgrade. Tooter has a Facebook page, and I think he has a website. Good Lock.
bb204

As was said earlier, you can get a muzzle brake that will greatly reduce felt recoil. I was at Bangsteel for a class last weekend and one student had a new rifle chambered in .300 WinMag. Dan suggested a muzzle brake, and he got a Kahntrol Solutions clamp on brake from Dan. He shot the rifle both days with no recoil issues after putting on the brake. If you don't want to have the barrel threaded, the Kahntrol Solutions clamp on brake is a good choice. Of course, Kahntrol makes screw on brakes as well.

My son has an A-Bolt that is very accurate (.300 WinMag). He initially had problems with grouping, but then we had a trigger job and that resolved all issues.

By the way, you already have a 1000 yd rifle. There is no reason that rifle should not perform well to 1000 yds. Do you hand load? Loading ammo customized to your gun can make a big difference. The only downside is the big overbore magnums have a shorter barrel life than some other chamberings, but if that is what you hunt with, you have to shoot it to learn it.

By the way, south AL here (Foley area, near the beaches).

Good luck.

I think i will try the muzzle break, then add me a trigger. I have just got into reloading. My dad gave me his Dillion 550B. He didnt have time for it. Im starting out in .223. Then moving to .270 to make all my hunting rounds. Then I plan to move to 7MM. Ive found that i can make rounds a lot cheaper for hunting than buying them. Its very addicting and loving it.

I wish i found this website a long time ago. Thanks for all the information. It will probably be towards end of the year before buying break, getting into reloading is taking its toll into my budget.

You might want to get a single stage press for your 7 RemMag. Learning to control all the variables to produce precision ammo will be faster & easier on the single stage. If you are interested, there is a Lee press available in the classifieds here. (no, not mine & I don't know the seller. Just trying to help.) Get all the reloading manuals you can and read the part on reloading. All are good. The Berger manual has some very good information. Ask any questions you may have here. There are a lot of people on here who are very experienced and willing to share their knowledge.

You will get better brass life if you learn how to measure your fired brass and then resize it so that you only set the shoulder back .002".

On the trigger, you can have a gunsmith replace the factory springs and get the trigger much better. My son's has a crisp break at 1 lb 6 oz. Cost is minimal.

Good Luck,

Ill have to wait on getting another press. Untill then, i plan to use my 550 as a single stage type, charge powder by hand to create accurate loads for .270 amd .7mm.

Thanks for information on the trigger, I may consider it. I am on a budget and got lots of stuff to get. Gotta save for some good glass soon.

Long needed update. I ordered a Witt Machine Thread on MB. I got my barrel threaded. Boy, I can't believe the recoil reduction. I am now able to shot my 7mm Rem Mag with no issues at all. I just got back from visiting a friend. We shot out to 500 with 3" groups in 9-14 mph gusting winds. I also purchased Timney trigger springs from Midway and installed the lower 2lb, which ended up putting my trigger at 20oz. I shot over 125 rounds doing load development and shooting at 500. I have found that my rifle likes the 150 ABLR with H4831. Thanks all for the help and suggestions. Now I have to figure out my next build and find someone local in Northern Alabama to shoot with.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.