7rum bullet choice

JIsbell40

I have worked up some loads with RL23 and RL26 for my 26" 7rum. Everything I have shot at this point has had acceptable accuracy for hunting. With the 162 SST and 140 accubond being the most accurate. But my question is which of these is best to give a pass through if I am hunting at close range? I am getting 3260fps with a load of 86.5 grains of rl26 with the 162. The 140 is a blistering 3570 with 85.0 of RL23. I do not think either of these bullets will get a pass through at sub 100 yard ranges. What recommendations do you all have for such lovely speed?

I have worked up some loads with RL23 and RL26 for my 26" 7rum. Everything I have shot at this point has had acceptable accuracy for hunting. With the 162 SST and 140 accubond being the most accurate. But my question is which of these is best to give a pass through if I am hunting at close range? I am getting 3260fps with a load of 86.5 grains of rl26 with the 162. The 140 is a blistering 3570 with 85.0 of RL23. I do not think either of these bullets will get a pass through at sub 100 yard ranges. What recommendations do you all have for such lovely speed?

Well we all know about opinions.
The 162 gr Hornady match bullets have been very popular for long range hunting for about 45/50 years.
And there have been cartridges for the same time frame pushing them to that and even higher velocity.
But your question isn't about long range, which makes me wonder why you wouldn't just choose another cartridge for what you want?

Typically my shots can range from 100 to 500 yards. And for that I like the 162 sst. But sometimes I end up in areas where 100 yards is a long shot. This is an all purpose rifle. I'm trying to avoid over expanding mid to long range loads should I decide to get up close and personal.

Typically my shots can range from 100 to 500 yards. And for that I like the 162 sst. But sometimes I end up in areas where 100 yards is a long shot. This is an all purpose rifle. I'm trying to avoid over expanding mid to long range loads should I decide to get up close and personal.

The (all purpose) idea might be the major issue. Is there such a thing for about whatever we choose to discuss?
If we hired a professional painter to paint our entire house, would we expect him to show up at the door holding his one brush?
And if not, then why not?
Certainly there would be choices other than an ultramag in 7mm for what you do, a 280 comes to mind for example.
Your sorta asking about using a tri axle dump truck as a daily around town driver in my opinion. The answer would be yes you can, but it would be doubtfull you would be finding many others who you could share experiences with.

The (all purpose) idea might be the major issue. Is there such a thing for about whatever we choose to discuss?
If we hired a professional painter to paint our entire house, would we expect him to show up at the door holding his one brush?
And if not, then why not?
Certainly there would be choices other than an ultramag in 7mm for what you do, a 280 comes to mind for example.
Your sorta asking about using a tri axle dump truck as a daily around town driver in my opinion. The answer would be yes you can, but it would be doubtfull you would be finding many others who you could share experiences with.

If it pleases the crown, may I hunt with whatever I choose?

I have 308s and a 270, and a 300wsm, and a 7 wsm. But I want to try the RUM. I can do without the facetious criticism of caliber choices. You don't like it. Fine, but are you the one carrying it?

Maybe one of the solids.

Barnes LRX shoots good in my 300 WM.
Cutting Edge has shot well in my 30-06.
Hammer Bullets But I've never shot them.
If not reloading Barnes is getting on the long range wagon with loaded ammo.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/vor-tx-lr-rifle/

For those ranges at those velocities I think this is what you are looking for. Put their info into a program and see what it gives you.

Maybe one of the solids.

Barnes LRX shoots good in my 300 WM.
Cutting Edge has shot well in my 30-06.
Hammer Bullets But I've never shot them.

For those ranges at those velocities I think this is what you are looking for. Put their info into a program and see what it gives you.

I've never tried the Barnes LRX. How would you compare its penetration to, say a Nosler Partition?

Never shot it at game.

Did a wet phone book test at 200 yds. Made the typical Barnes peel and penetrated about ten inches. Was impressed as that is pretty tough medium to shoot through.

tough to beat a 160 AB in the 7 RUM, I shoot a 168 VLD in one of my 7rums because thats the only thing it will shoot lol but it has done well at any range . I think for me, if I use a lead core jacketed bullet at that velocity I want something close to .300 sectional density for good penetration, so I stick with the 160+ grainers . I tried the 180 grainers and they shot decent but when I added up the numbers I chose to use the 168 , recoil had a little factor in there to because I have two sons that shoot that rifle also. most of the time I get pass through's unless it is a heavy quartering shot, but usually drops them then.

adding one more thing, I did set that rifle up for my youngest son to shoot for a while cuz he wanted to shoot "Big Bertha" lol, I used a 140 AB and slowed it down to 3250 fps and it really did well up close and out a ways

I've been playing around with the SST's in my 6.5 CM and am really impressed with the accuracy, I would say if the SST's gives you the best accuracy go with that. From what I've read you shouldn't have any problem with a pass through using them.

J, I've seen the SST perform well in that range, but have read of them fragging up close. The only bullet I've used or seen used within all your ranges perform great was the Partition. Out to 450-500 pretty darn accurate, but not with the highest BC. Perhaps the 160 Partition in your rifle would do well. Good luck

Our 143g Hammer Hunter will give exceptional vel and range in the 7rum. At the distances that you are hunting the Sledge Hammer bullets will work very well. The 160g Sledge Hammer will stabilize perfectly in the factory rum. If you plan to hunt beyond 500y then go with the 143g Hammer Hunter. Both lines of bullets will perform perfectly regardless of impact vel down to 1800fps. They will retain the same weight within a couple of grains and take the same deformed shape. Impacts above 3200fps will show more onside damage as they deform faster and show the typical 2"-3" exit. With the pure copper construction you will not see the meat damage that you are accustomed to when using lead core bullets, regardless of the range shot at. You will never have to worry about weather or not to take a shot depending on the position of the animal. You just don't want to shoot with another standing behind the intended target. You will get two for one.

Let me know if I can help. We guarantee satisfaction with Hammer Bullets.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.