7mm stw walker barrel accuracy problems

ms delta

Has anyone used Walker barrels before ? I'm having problems getting the loads as accurate as i would like. tried several powers and slugs. rem action,26 in. 9 1/2 twist, boyds lam stock, timney trigger nightforce nsx 5.5 X 22 x 56 scope, tank break ect. On my range it knocks the rust off the metal out to 600 yrds but the paper at 100 not so good .. I have been a reloader for over 40 years. help!

what have you tried??
a 9.5" twist isn't going to like heavier bullets; my 10" twist hated anything over 150 grains... switching to a 140-150 grain over rl25 or rl22 may just get it going well... I use a 140 ab with rl25 in rp brass lit by a 215 in my Shilen... and she's a 8" twist...the 10" twist and my old rem sendero shot the load well too...

Thanks for the info. This is a new build and it's a little stubborn letting me know what it likes. Might be female! My other long range rifles have heaver barrels, No. 7 and a light target. It could be my impatiences taking over and getting the light barrel to hot. I just got a new chrono last week and will punch some 140's through it soon. I mostly load hodgen and haven't tried the RL powders yet.

To answer your first question I've shot 120's to 180's with H 1000, 7828 and 4831.
All single base powders... Try something different... work the rifle up using 140 ab's and rl25... I'd start in the high 70's and work to 81-82 grains lit by a 215...

Take your time... a stw heats up quick enough to see pressure changes on a pressure trace in less than a half dozen shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts