7mm-08 for Deer

I've been using 42 Grains of Varget. I may actually back it off a little. The Nosler brass has gotten loose primer pockets after a few reloads. I bought some Norma Brass for my wife and I'm excited to try it out but I'm hoping it will last a little longer.

600 yards to keep minimal recommended ft lbs of energy. I have killed multiple deer and antelope over 500 yrds with 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips,also 140 grainers.

Energy is a good number for comparing one cartridge to another. Impact vel and bullet design/performance is more meaningful. IMHO

Steve

I don't disagree... all three play a part in efficiency. 1800 fps is the standard for many bullets to expand consistantly (some of which a bit less is required), which is still doable at the discussed ranges with several makes of bullets.
With handloads, a 120 gr pill can be pushed past 3200 fps mv in my 24" tubed '08... 140s to 3000 fps. These are hot loads of course.

Been using a 7mm/08 for over 30 yrs. Great cartridge and as some have said very under-rated. I feel it can do anything a 270 Win can do and has the advantage of higher BC bullets if needed.

A lot of guys I know have been setting up 7-08 with the Remington managed recoil ammo for there kids to shot instead of 243 all have really liked them

I use 8208 and Barnes 120's in my daughter's rifle. So far she has anchored 7 deer with it. All but one dropped dead in it's tracks.

Hard to find a better caliber than 7-08 for game under 300 lbs. I've shot deer out to 300 yards with standard 140 gr. I'm not a fan of big recoil ... 7mm RM stays home ... 7-08 is my favorite rifle.

I tagged a good sized muley with my 7-08, and a homely Hornady 139 grain boat tail bullet.... At 435 yard, and it dropped right there. I'm a fan!

I bought one for my kids to use on youth hunts, and I am starting with 120g Barnes to see if they shoot well.

I use 140g Barnes in my 270 Weatherby, and love that combination.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.