6.8 & 6.5 Question

Haha it was making me wonder about my loads for my 6.8. I've started looking at the 6.5 Howa mini action rifle to toy with, might not now.

you sure about the mv on the 6.5 creedmoor?
The 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel will fit the AR 15 Platform. But the 6.5 Creedmoore needs a AR 10
receiver.

If you intend to hunt white tails I would recommend the 6.8 SPC because of the velocity and energy.
(2800 ft/sec and 2002 ft/lbs ME compared to the Creedmoor's 2375 ft/sec & 1505 ft/lbs of energy.
(These velocities and energy's are when using the best factory ammo available for both).

Both are good cartridges and work well in the AR 15 Platform.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

I haven't shot anything with a 6.5 Grendel but I have killed deer and antelope with a 6.5 creedmoor and a 6.8 SPC II. Both are deadly. The Creedmoor gives you more range but it sounds like you won't need it. The 6.8 fits in a normal AR-15 lower--huge cost and weight savings over the Creedmoor. If that's the route you decide to go, I have an extra 14.5" 6.8 SPC II barrel made by FN I'll sell you for cheap. I bought it for a build that never materialized...it's been sitting in my gun room for about 8 years now.

The grendel is a great little round. It crushes the spc outside of 350y and it is a very accurate rd for an ar15 platform. I've killed everything from ground squirrels to black bear and dented steel at 1000y with a grendel. The spc is an inside hammer and the grendel is a great overall round

Pa legislators have past a bill to allow semi autos to be used for hunting. This bill must be signed by the anti gun Governor of Pa then put into play by the Game Commision.

Since I am now 65 and in poor health I was thinking about a lighter deer rifle. I have several ARs and one being a Factory Colt Commando 6933 SBR. I am looking at barreled uppers or building an upper. It seems ARP has a nice selection of barrels for a build.

What would be a good choice to use as a deer rifle, 6.8 spc II, 6.5 creedmoore, or a 6.5 grendal?

I want to keep the barrel to 14" to 16". Most of the area I hunt will be shots from 50 to 200 yards. When I was 12 I did get a 6 point buck at 400+ yards but I don't hunt that area anymore.

Your opinions and advice will Greatly be Appreciated!

Dane[/QUOTE

I wouldn't go looking to build that AR15 just yet freind, Our Governor did sign that bill and the PGC/ Board of Commissioners shot it down for big game hunting.

I know this is an old thread but if you're wanting to stay with 16-18" pipe go with the Grendel. 7.5-8 twist and you'll handle everything from 85 grain sierras up to 130 Berger hybrids. I've shot mine with great success out to 940 yds with ease. Killed several deer with the longest being 325 yds with an experimental 105grain cut down hornady GMX. I've worked on and shot some 6.8 spc for friends and it has its own merits, but the Grendel whips it past 350-400 yds. My 10 yr old son gets hit after hit out to 400 with 100gr ballistic tip handloads. I built one custom 700 in Grendel and love it, bought a lightweight howa mini for truck/tractor gun and it's great, and built a long range AR around a bartlein 22" that is lights out!! Just my totally biased $.02!! LOL

Pa legislators have past a bill to allow semi autos to be used for hunting. This bill must be signed by the anti gun Governor of Pa then put into play by the Game Commision.

Since I am now 65 and in poor health I was thinking about a lighter deer rifle. I have several ARs and one being a Factory Colt Commando 6933 SBR. I am looking at barreled uppers or building an upper. It seems ARP has a nice selection of barrels for a build.

What would be a good choice to use as a deer rifle, 6.8 spc II, 6.5 creedmoore, or a 6.5 grendal?

I want to keep the barrel to 14" to 16". Most of the area I hunt will be shots from 50 to 200 yards. When I was 12 I did get a 6 point buck at 400+ yards but I don't hunt that area anymore.

Your opinions and advice will Greatly be Appreciated!

Dane

I understand this is a few months old but out of your choices, I'd go with the 6.5 CM ...

6.5 Creedmoor AR Showdown - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Well if you plan on using the Colt lower forget about the 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5 Creedmoor would need a new lower so you might as well buy a whole new rifle. I don't have any experience with the 6.5 Grendle but I do with the 6.8 and it has done well for me. It has been a very accurate powerful cartridge. I have been able to find ammunition for it at fair prices. I have also been able to hand load it and have worked up some good hunting loads using a Barnes Bullet that delivers almost instantaneous death. I haven't used it on hogs yet but on deer it has been a good rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.