6.5x47 lapua or 7 RUM?

also, if I were you in would NOT be sharing this kind of failures on any forum. it's just too much bad info for the anti Hunters to use in future arguments against us. and one more thing, I am 63 and have taken many animals both with gun and with bow and have only had this happen a couple of times. get on the ground and crawl if you have to to find any sign of blood or any indication that you are indeed on the right path. get help but do not give up. we have a responsibility to the animals to find and then eat what we harvest. Also a huge responsibility to each and every other hunter to recover any animal we have hit.

I am glad people post honest problems with bullets, not just cheerleading.

While I congratulate the OP for a successful Wolf hunt; the bullet performance does NOT seem adequate. One shot pencils through, 2nd a huge hole. This would not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to shoot a larger animal with such sporadic bullet performance.

Good luck

Jerry

I am glad people post honest problems with bullets, not just cheerleading.

While I congratulate the OP for a successful Wolf hunt; the bullet performance does NOT seem adequate. One shot pencils through, 2nd a huge hole. This would not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to shoot a larger animal with such sporadic bullet performance.

Good luck

Jerry

Thank you sir! Yes i was pretty let down on the performance of the 140 berger on this wolf. The first shot was in the X Ring through both fron shoulder and it penciled through keaving a quarter sized exit hole. The wolf was still fully alive so i shot it again through the midsection, where i thought it would not blow too big of a hole and would expire the wolf. But instead it blows a hole the size of a grapefruit and didnt even hit bone. Not acceptable for me. Both shots were from 100 yards also. I have no idea what caused this kind of performance because i have used bergers all together in ALOT of different calibers and killed LOTS of animals from little to huge and never had a problem at all. Every single one performed perfectly.

One of the advantages to forums like this is getting a broad cross section of opinions and experiences that are not influenced by any remittance from somebody with a dog in the fight. It may not be scientific but it's not bought and paid for either.

I'd say Lrt307 is just passing on some of his experiences. I hunt with Bergers but lately I've had a turds luck in having opportunities. If I get some experiences like his, maybe I make a change a little sooner after pondering all this. Maybe not.

Ha ha, I've seen dead animals roll to the bottom of the mountain that were hard to find. Also had an elk with a boiler room hit and a broke back run 150 yards on two legs (Sierra Game King 200 gr.). Two good shots, 150ish yards out. Not complaining by the way. That's just what happened. Have friends that use 275 gr. Speer (not long range) with good hits that had issues finding them. I reckon we all need to take a class or something. Personally, I think I need to hunt animals that are more co-operative.

I have had great performance with Berger VLD Hunting Bullets.

I have heard of bad experiences from people Shooting Berger VLD Target bullets at animals.

I have had great performance with Berger VLD Hunting Bullets.

I have heard of bad experiences from people Shooting Berger VLD Target bullets at animals.

+1

I've never needed a 2nd shot with a Berger (Hunting VLD). They just drop stuff on the first shot.

Before I used Bergers, I used Nosler Partitions on a lot of Mule Deer. Those frequently (greater than 50%) needed a followup shot. They always knocked the deer down, you'd think they were done, but then they'd get back up. I'd have to shoot them again.

+1

I've never needed a 2nd shot with a Berger (Hunting VLD). They just drop stuff on the first shot.

Before I used Bergers, I used Nosler Partitions on a lot of Mule Deer. Those frequently (greater than 50%) needed a followup shot. They always knocked the deer down, you'd think they were done, but then they'd get back up. I'd have to shoot them again.
Ummmm.. I'm gonna say bad placement with the Partitions. mtmuley

When i was a young kid i shot a mule deer in the shoulder blade with a barnes 168 grain X bullet shot out of a 30-06. Shot was from around 150-200 yards. It didnt even penetrate the shoulder blade and deflected straight down and out the deers front leg. From then on i will never shoot a barnes bullet again. This years hunting season i witnessed a hunter that shot a mule deer buck with a 7 rem mag and a 140 grain barnes from 400 yards and it did the exact same thing. Shoulder blade deflected it straight down and came out on forearm. The buck ran down into a creek and layed down. Follow up shot through the neck did kill him but it poked a caliber sixed hole through and through and the buck continued to breath for atleast 5 min before expiring. Only thing they are good for is breaking rocks.

When i was a young kid i shot a mule deer in the shoulder blade with a barnes 168 grain X bullet shot out of a 30-06. Shot was from around 150-200 yards. It didnt even penetrate the shoulder blade and deflected straight down and out the deers front leg. From then on i will never shoot a barnes bullet again. This years hunting season i witnessed a hunter that shot a mule deer buck with a 7 rem mag and a 140 grain barnes from 400 yards and it did the exact same thing. Shoulder blade deflected it straight down and came out on forearm. The buck ran down into a creek and layed down. Follow up shot through the neck did kill him but it poked a caliber sixed hole through and through and the buck continued to breath for atleast 5 min before expiring. Only thing they are good for is breaking rocks.
Understabilized bullet. This the disservice that manufactures do when they market bullet and do not give a min twist for full stability at sea level.

Steve

Understabilized bullet. This the disservice that manufactures do when they market bullet and do not give a min twist for full stability at sea level.

Steve

It wasnt because of under stability. In either case. Especially the 7 rem mag with a 140 grain barnes. Just ****** bullets i think.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.