6.5x47 lapua or 7 RUM?

Farmerbrown32

Hi guys and gals. I am going to ontario wolf hunting in a few weeks and am trying to decide which gun i should take? I have a mcwhorter precision 6.5x47 lapua that shoots one hole groups with the 140 berger hunter and a 7 RUM that shoots the 195 elite hunter very well. I want that big set of teeth to be DRT and i am pretty confident either would do the job, but am wondering if i should take the 7 rum just in case of a long distance shot opportunity. Which should i take and why? Thanks for your help!

If you are serious about clean kills & short blood trails, I would not take anything launching Berger bullets. Too many train wrecks with them. Also, there are bullets out there truly made for hunting.
Just my opinions gathered from experience.
Thanks, Kirk

Regardless of what people think wolves aren't mystic creatures that are bullet proof. I'm not going to discourage you from the 7 Rum, she's a beast, but the one thing I really like about the 6.5-47 is spoting my own hits on a muzzle broke gun. I know your McWorter is a shooter and a 140 Berger will deffinatly end their elk killing days out past a grand, especially with a point of the shoulder shot. Good luck with your hunt and take which ever gun your most comfortable and accurate with.

If you are serious about clean kills & short blood trails, I would not take anything launching Berger bullets. Too many train wrecks with them. Also, there are bullets out there truly made for hunting.
Just my opinions gathered from experience.
Thanks, Kirk

What bad experiences have you had with bergers? Ive heard of lots of people that have had these types of experiences but i just never have. Ive hunted and taken alot of different game over the years ranging from coyotes to elk at close ranges to very far ranges using all berger bullets in big rum calibers down to a 223s and 22-250ai and never had one problem with berger bullets. All have performed exactly like i wanted. Not contradicting you kirk, just would like to hear the problems youve had. Like penciling through or blowing up on surface? What caliber? Range? Thanks! P.S. Thanks for your input! And will take it into consideration!

7 rum hands down and
PleAse post pics if successful good luck and leave the Bergers home also nosler ab or such

I shot mine with a 167 scenar , 30-06. placement key. there is a vid clip some where of a wolf shot with a .260rem. 140 berger.

I've had fantastic success with 140 Berger VLD bullets on deer, mtn goat, black bear, and antelope. I've used the 195 Berger on black bear, mule deer and antelope. Either would kill a wolf at long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.