6.5x284 Norma Reamer

swampdog112

I'm beginning a long range lightweight hunting rifle build... I've been kicking around the idea of a 6.5 SAUM 4s for the past week or so but finally decided I didn't want to buy a rifle I couldn't get factory brass for. I could always neck down 300 SAUM but I would have to neck turn and as of now, I'm not set up to do that. I finally decided on the 6.5x284 Norma and started ordering parts this week.

Now on to the reamer... I've been reading up on this cartridge and it seems like there are a lot of variations. I got on the PTG website and saw there are about a 1/2 dozen versions of the 6.5x284 reamer on their website. I want to run the 140 VLD or the 140 amax and i'd like seat them long enough for ideal case capacity. I've also heard that I want a 1 degree throat for these long, high bc bullets? Lastly, I want a no turn neck as I would like to avoid that extra step. I just want to make sure to ask my gunsmith for the correct reamer

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Factory Hornady 6.5saum brass is suppose to be done the end of October.

If your using a long action you have all the room in the world to seat a 140. If it's going in a short action the mag length will dictate the throat length. Typical reamers are 1 degree 30 minutes of throat angle. If your ordering a reamer buy some new brass, seat some bullets to mag length (short action) or where the edge of the boattail is at the bottom of the neck (long action) and send them in as samples. I usually order my reamers .003" over loaded neck diameter but some people don't like them quite that tight. .003" to .005" is a good range.

I'm beginning a long range lightweight hunting rifle build... I've been kicking around the idea of a 6.5 SAUM 4s for the past week or so but finally decided I didn't want to buy a rifle I couldn't get factory brass for. I could always neck down 300 SAUM but I would have to neck turn and as of now, I'm not set up to do that. I finally decided on the 6.5x284 Norma and started ordering parts this week.

Now on to the reamer... I've been reading up on this cartridge and it seems like there are a lot of variations. I got on the PTG website and saw there are about a 1/2 dozen versions of the 6.5x284 reamer on their website. I want to run the 140 VLD or the 140 amax and i'd like seat them long enough for ideal case capacity. I've also heard that I want a 1 degree throat for these long, high bc bullets? Lastly, I want a no turn neck as I would like to avoid that extra step. I just want to make sure to ask my gunsmith for the correct reamer

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you're wanting a 'special' reamer, one that is different than the C.I.P. standard, plan on prchasing the reamer yourself. At minimum, the throating reamer if a non-standard throat angle is what you want. Your gunsmith, or any gunsmith, shouldn't be required to supply every non-standard reamer people want. There are just too many variations! Many gunsmiths do have some of the more popular non-standard reamers in their tool box. But, as I said, there are an infinate number of variations for chambering reamers. Decide on the reamer specs, discuss them with your 'smith and order from Dave Manson or JGS. You and your gunsmith will both be happier!

Greg Tannel at Gre-Tan rifles has probably got the reamers to make whatever size chamber you want.

A C.I.P. standard chamber would probably be just fine for your needs. The reason for the Norma version/ standardization is to be able to take advantage of the potential case capacity by seating the bullets out further verses the 6.5mm X .284 Winchester which many times required the bullet to be seated deeper. I don't seriously believe you could see the difference in accuracy in a 1/2 deg. of throat angle in a hunting rifle that has a proper chambering job, proper bedding, and a good trigger and optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.