6.5 sst (sherman short tactical) arrived

IMG_5496.PNG

Here's a picture of my match results from this year. I really sucked before the SST. The two scores in the 80s are SST scores. The others were my 6:5x47

I've been slacking on the updates. But the bow hunt is over so back to Business.

I have about 600 rounds down the barrel so far. I've sped up the whole way but the increase has slowed down a bunch. Probably need to do another test to make sure my groups are still tight but I'm sure it's all good.

Throat erosion is minimal. Looks like the barrel is living up to longevity expectations.

I have only shot in a couple small comps in the last little bit due to bow hunt eating up some time. But the season finale is November 4 and 5 so I hope to get a couple in before then to get tuned up.

I'm more than impressed with the SST. It will push the 140s as fast as I'd ever want, out of any short action with plenty of room to spare. And barrel life looks to be a winner too.

That is REALLY good news Thane! I am glad you are shooting well and look forward to more results. There are a couple of Az. shooters that are going to join the show too, so we will have even more data........Rich

I shot another local match. Didn't do so well. I made a bunch of dumb mistakes. Mostly I was holding too much wind.

My barrel has settled down. I'm running very consistent 3050fps with 55.3 grains of Reloader 26. My groups are still excellent.

The Rocky Mountain PRS season finale is in 2 weeks. It'll be the first 2 day match for this rifle. I'm Really looking forward to it!

My SST arrived yesterday just when I was getting ready to take the grand kids to mtns 4 wheeling so I took the opportunity to quickly convert some brass and load up a box of 20 to fire form and break her in a little. This case is REALLY easy to form as it is pretty much a shortened SAUM with the taper blown out when formed.
I decided to try some 147 ELDM's for the trip and loaded them behind 57 grains of H1000 at a coal of 2.795". That was about to the lands (I was hurrying):D That is a LONG bullet so just about anything you would want to shoot will fit in a std. magazine (Remington SA mag is about 2.825")
Rhian must have done a bang up machining job, and very consistent with the last barrel, because the first shot out of the new barrel struck within 2" of where the old was sighted in at (6.5SS) and the next 2 rounds were touching only 1 inch from former zero. This was with no bore sighting or anything. He just reattached the scope:cool:
I ran 10 rounds through it cleaning it 3 times and then fired a fouler and took the magneto speed bayo off. The MV with that low pressure load was 2903'. I then fired a 3 shot group with a slight scope adjustment while lying prone in an abandoned logging road. The target was a Home Depot moving box (don't want to talk about that):D, with a felt marker bullseye. The 3 shots went into about .3 moa which is typical of Rhian built rifle. The cases only shrink about .002" when fire forming this round, so they were still about .003" OVER chamber length. Looks like some serious accuracy potential as well as good velocity. I should be able to shoot at least 60 grains with this combo. I plan to test some new powders and do some load developement after the G-kids leave. Pretty sure i can make 3150' or so with the 147's with RL26.
These pics are all I took and are not the best quality with my flip top, but you get the idea............Rich
Oh ya, the 3 port Little beast brake is new for me on a 6.5 but it is REALLY fun to shoot. Spotting long range shots will be a breeze!
View attachment 77126

View attachment 77127
What are the specs on that rifle of yours? I really dig it!

Hi Will,..... What specs we're you looking for? The main differences between it and the SS is a 30 degree shoulder and shorter throat. It only gives up about 50' in velocity and does it with a coal that will fit in anything and feed smoothly. I shoot the 147 ELDM at 3107 with a coal of 2.770".

Hey Rich, I was interested in the actual rifle. Sounds like it has a Bartlein 3b, looks like an EH4... but what length barrel, weight, etc?
After reading through this thread about the SST, I'm very excited ;) That's awesome to hear the 147ELD still only runs at 2.770"!

Rifle is a 700 remmy with a 3b Bart 8 twist at 26". Manners T2 stock with AICS DBM for 308 with feed lips spread .080". PTG bottom metal. Oh ya, it has a Little Beast brake from " Brakes and more". Scope is a 6-24 SIII with 2 moa reticle.I set it up much like a PRS rifle because that was the designed use. Don't let the de tuning fool you though, this thing is still potent! It will keep up with a Saum with WAY less coal.....rich