6.5 SAUM, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08

For targets out to 1000+ and game out to 600-700 yards, I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Exceptionally accurate with either factory match or hand loads. IMO, the case design is superb.

Dropped off my action to my gunsmith at 2 pm and got a picture texted to me at 10:30pm. IMG_1356.jpg my new 6.5 GAP4s is awaiting load development and accuracy proofing. :D ...and Atlas bipod. I'm kinda excited

Good for you and great choice!
I'm shooting the 147 ELD Match at 3100 fps with 61 grains of H1000.
Super light recoil and tons of power, pretty hard to beat.

Good for you and great choice!
I'm shooting the 147 ELD Match at 3100 fps with 61 grains of H1000.
Super light recoil and tons of power, pretty hard to beat.

I'm really excited about it- didn't mean to hijack the thread with a "this is the best 6.5 because it's what I got "...., post. Doing load development/ brass forming with 140 hybrids and 60 grains of h1000 for a very mild load is Producing good groups and great ballistics. I'll do some serious development after my first firing but the rifle is better than me at this point. gun):D

IMG_1444.jpg fresher pic with bipod. Stats on 6.5 gap and Sherman short are very impressive and make a good case for a light recoiling hammer.

I'm really excited about it- didn't mean to hijack the thread with a "this is the best 6.5 because it's what I got "...., post. Doing load development/ brass forming with 140 hybrids and 60 grains of h1000 for a very mild load is Producing good groups and great ballistics. I'll do some serious development after my first firing but the rifle is better than me at this point. gun):D

I Had my chamber custom throated for an OAL of 2.97" with the 147 ELD-M. What sort of OAL are you running with the GAP reamer?
Nice looking rifle BTW!

I've seen the Creedmoor in action in Africa on dozens of animals. It's a solid 500 yard hunting gun. After that, it runs out of the gas needed to kill quickly. Same with the 6.5x47, both shooting 130 class bullets. If your main goal is mid range hunting and ringing steel and not sitting at the reloading bench for hours to gain some accuracy, stick with the Creedmoor. Big selection of factory ammo for it also.

I'm starting to gather parts for a new hunting long range hunting rifle, however I am torn on caliber. I'm down to the 6.5CM, 6.5 SAUM, and 7mm-08. I still want a rifle that is easy to shoot since I'm sure it will be ringing steel more than a few weekends out of the year. What have been your experiences mainly with accuracy and recoil. My goal is to keep everything between 9 and 10 lb with scope.
Thanks!

First off some say long rang is 500Y to 800Y, to me its 800 out to 1100 and ex-stream 1100 and beyond..
What range or how far at max do you want to go?

I have two rifles I use, one is a 6.5x284 and have killed Elk and Moose out to 986 yards with one shot on each.. My other is 7 rem. mag. and have taken Elk and deer out to 843 yards and steel out to 2400 yards, so how far do you want to go..
The 6.5X284 I like 140 Berger and my 7 I like Berger180 and both are under 10" groups at 1,000 yards for 20 shots.. One thing to remember is it's hard to find and judge the size the longer the shot..

Bassrods

I shoot 6.5x284 so my caliber isn't on your list! The 7mm 08 if I wanted a short action my Choice would be a 7mm WSM 140 grain bullets are where is where I would stay, down range velocity and energy is what is important in flat shooting and impact on the game animal.

You really need to look at what impact velocity you want at the furthest range you are willing to kill something. Bullet makers will tell you the lowest impact velocity you need to open the bullet up. Nosler is 1,800 fps. But, me personally I like 2,000 fps.

708 would not even be a choice.

6.5's rule and the SAUM would be the best for down range.

I'm starting to gather parts for a new hunting long range hunting rifle, however I am torn on caliber. I'm down to the 6.5CM, 6.5 SAUM, and 7mm-08. I still want a rifle that is easy to shoot since I'm sure it will be ringing steel more than a few weekends out of the year. What have been your experiences mainly with accuracy and recoil. My goal is to keep everything between 9 and 10 lb with scope.
Thanks!

I own all three calibers mentioned, and without knowing what game you're hunting (assume Elk and and Deer), what your idea of and actual long-range capacities are (assume 1000 yards) and if you'll be reloading (assume yes), I'd recommend the 6.5 SAUM. Low recoil (even with my 8.7 lbs total weight carbon rifle), long barrel life, boringly accurate, and a 6.5mm 140 gr leaving the barrel @ 3100+ (mine runs 3135fps) carries plenty of energy at that distance to kill with one well-placed shot.
-6.5 SAUM Specs:
-26" Proof Carbon Fiber barrel
-140gr Berger Hybrids
-3135 fps
-2242fps @ 1642 ft/lbs at 1000 yards

That said, my 7mm-300WSM built on a long action with 7mm 180gr Bergers is still my favorite big game, long range rifle and sees the most time out of the safe. Scary accurate, fast, laughs at wind, simple to make loads, low recoil, and kills everything standing in front of it from a long way out.
7mm-300WSM Specs:
28" Proof Carbon Fiber barrel
-180 Berger VLD
-2954 fps
-1700 fps @ 1100ft/lbs at 1000 yards.

Last edited:
I know this caliber isn't on your list, but it is a hybrid of 2 that Are on your list. I bring it up because I wanted to do exactly what you are talking about doing. I wanted to have plenty of energy to take an elk out to 800 yards and yet still be comfortable on a day to day basis for shooting at my local 600 yard range. It had to be a good rifle to pack as well, so the balance had to be right and the weight had to be in the 8-10lb range.

So I built a 7mm SAUM, I'm pushing 175 ELD-X bullets at 2850fps with 59gr of H1000 loaded at 2.955 OAL for a hunting load. Depending on the day the bullet is traveling 1900fps and has 1400ft-lb at 800 yards.

Rifle Specs,
24" Krieger #4.5 contour Stainless 5R rifled barrel
Thunder Beast Arms Muzzle brake (Still waiting on my suppressor)
Stainless Tikka T3 Action (Lighter than a Remington and stiffer)
Custom Walnut stock that I built to fit me with a limbsaver recoil pad
Leupold VX-3 CDS Side Focus 4.5-14X40
9-13 inch Bipod
Rifle weighs in at 9.25 lbs with a leather sling.

In the past I owned a pair of 260 remington (No muzzle brake) target rifles, this 7 SAUM (With a muzzle brake) has almost exactly the same recoil as the 260 remington's. It really is pleasant to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts