6.5-300 ultra is ready!!!

Chase Curtis

This build started late winter and is now ready for the range!

Objective: Have a rifle for hunting that I could basically point and shoot at a semi LR shot.. flat is what i wanted!

Chambered in... ready for this... 6.5-300 ultra mag. I know what your thinking.. who the would build such a round. Well I ALREADY KNOW its crazy.. but I am going to really have some fun with this.. its not a rifle your gonna want to take to the range and shoot 50 rounds through.. but at Im guessing 4-600 round barrel life.. its enough to bring demise to plenty of texas whitetail! And thats what it was built for.. When I told Chad (Titan Weapons.. the smith on this build) I wanted to do this.. he said "thats going to be one hot ***)(*&^%^&*(*&^... but its going to be fun!

And since lives too short for ugly rifles... I decided to go first class with a custom Russo (Joel Russo in PA) stock. Joel needs no intro here.. the stock doctor! Between Joel and Chad this build came together perfectly... could not ask for better guys to work with! Chad at Titan Weapons has built several rifles for me and all are shooter! and I can't wait for my next Russo stock!!!

Here is some idea of what I expect...

142smk - 3450-3500fps. With that sighted in at 2" high at 100.. I am only 7 inches low at 400 yds. this is a true point and shoot!!! I don't even want to guess at the 130 accubond or a 129 sst. 3650ish...??? its flat!! and when I feel like stretching it out.. it still has over #1200 of energy at 1000 yds. Pure hunting rifle.. obviously.

heres the specs..

Smithed by Titan Weapons
trued R700 action
Brux #5 contour barrel
Kampfeld bolt.
Long rifles lug
Russo custom black walnut stock
Glass bed
tuned trigger
(its going to wear a zeiss 6.5-20x50)

Ill update with actual chrono #s and shooting once i have it...
IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

chas4.jpg

IMG_0381-1.jpg

Its a work of art! I love the natural wood stocks with stainless, beautiful.

As a former 6.5 WSM shooter, I can't help but sympathize with the frustration you are about to feel chasing the lands while trying to find that perfect load. :) Everyone has to try something crazy at least once!

That is pretty bad ***, good looking stick.... I just finished reading a thread where a guys was whining about the short bbl life of a 6.5-284! Irony right! HA!

Should be a real whitetail hammergun)

If I recall correctly, some 6.5STW shooters are claiming 3600+ from the 129's & 130's. I would like to think you would beat them by a small margin.

Make sure you post those velocity numbers!!!

@ MuleHunter

My 6.5 WSM will be finished any time :D

I'm glad you beat me to it. I have been thinking of a round like this just have not got around to doing it. i can't wait to see how this works out. Great looking rifle.

Its a work of art! I love the natural wood stocks with stainless, beautiful.

As a former 6.5 WSM shooter, I can't help but sympathize with the frustration you are about to feel chasing the lands while trying to find that perfect load. :) Everyone has to try something crazy at least once!
My thought exactly! Burned a Lilja 3 grove barrel out of a 6.5wsm many years ago trying to get it to shoot great. If I had stoped @ minute of deer and only shot it for deer/goat hunting I would still have a useable barrel. The 6-284 that replaced it maybe gets 10 rounds a year through it and is still getrdone many years laterlightbulb

^^^
thats my plan with this.. Im not going to try 100 different loads.. I have a pretty good idea of where I am starting.. once I get a "hunting load/ one shot charlie" kinda deal.. Im done.. it will get fired 10 times a year MAX

That's not just a rifle it's a work of art. Congratulations. I look forward to hearing how it shoots for you.

Not so very long ago I gave very serious consideration to building a 6.5 STW... . **** it, now I'm thinking about it again!

Beautiful rifle! Joel Russo does very nice work. Very interesting chambering. That is a lot of fire behind a 6.5 bullet. Enjoy the challenge.

All I can say is wow.
I like the idea and the thinking outside of the box.
And I love that stock---one of these days, I am going to have to have Joel build me one. Ummmm, lets see---a Russo or a synthetic??? Duh.

Randy

Your nutts, but thats a beautifull rifle.
Actually it sounds real fun, but be carefull, its kinda like a trophy wife. Absolutely beautifull, & everyone's envy, but boy you gotta have deep pockets to keep er' goin.....
Plastic surgery/new barrels is a small price to pay for somethin that sexy & fun to play with:D:D

Very swanky indeed!! I think I have to have one soon. I can't wait to see at it runs! Congratulations!

That is perhaps the most beautiful rifle I have ever seen! Good luck with the rifle an I can't wait to hear how it shoots. I hope you put the smack down on an animal this year just so I can hear about that rifle at work!

Man Alive! Thats is so stinking sweet! Even though barrel life will be crazy short... who care? The only thing that I hear from guys with Allen Mags and other hot rods is "cant wait to get another one". Cool choice.

That is one very pretty peice, and one of my favorite wood to work with, black walnut.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.