6.5-284 range results

Derek M.

Well I settled on a load in my 6.5-284 today. Norm and I went to double check our rifles as the SC and KY seasons are soon. I really like this rifle, there's not much I've put in it that's shot over 3/8" and I was confirming this load today:

6.5mm 130 Nosler Accubond bullet
Lapua brass out of the box
Federal 210match primers
53.0 grains Alliant Reloder 19 powder (one of my favorites)!!
Bullet is seated 0.020 off the lands and COAL is 3.010

Rifle built by Dave Bruno and this is another almost caliber sized one hole group for a shot of 3 at 100 yards. This past Saturday I was testing this load and various powder charges and all holes were touching from 52.0 through 53.5 grains but bullet was seated 0.010 closer to lands compared to today. The deeper seating proved better except for the 53.5 gr which spread to ½" which is clearly unacceptable and too big of a group at 100 yards. :D

Rifle:

24" Cut-rifled Bartlein barrel, gain twist starts at 8.75 and ends at 8T at the muzzle (I am really digging this Bartlein gain twist barrel)
McMillan 700 classic stock
Stiller Predator action
Jewel trigger 1 pound
Remington bottom metal

Just finished loading 50 for my trip to SC first week of November.

You're allowed 50 deer in SC!!!!:D

Sweet.

Looking at the upper right corner of the target paper it may be that there are only two holes in your group and someone slipped a Long Range Accubond into your bullets. :D

Have a good hunt.

No that is the tear from the staple

Why was the staple crying? :rolleyes:

Sweet shooting! I am starting to get the itch for a 6.5-284, and your post isn't helping (or maybe its helping a lot). How does that rig shoot with other bullets? Just curiosity on my part.

Good luck on your hunt and post some pics of whatever you drop!

Why was the staple crying? :rolleyes:

Sweet shooting! I am starting to get the itch for a 6.5-284, and your post isn't helping (or maybe its helping a lot). How does that rig shoot with other bullets? Just curiosity on my part.

Good luck on your hunt and post some pics of whatever you drop!

Great question. I think I posted above that just about everything I've tried in it is 3/8" and under. My first break-in loads were titrating up in powder and still 3 shot groups all touched at least even with various powder charges and that's a first for me. Don't know if the stars aligned or it's this Bartlein gain twist barrel or what but I'm impressed.

Regardless, I'm retesting the loads on Saturday. But I'm golden either way. The 6.5 and 270, both are going and both are sighted in. The 270 is punching Etip 130s over H4831SC, 59.0 gr, and 150 Berger VLDs over 57.0 gr H4831SC and printing within an inch of each other. I can live with that on this upcoming season and I'm curious what the Etip will do.

But, the 6.5 is the primary rifle. I've killed a pile of stuff with a 270, just not this new one. I noticed I'm down to 2 pounds of Re19 so I'll be searching for about 5-8 pounds of that before I go also. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and place another order for another 6.5mm barrel. I can wait for it. I'm in no rush.

Trust me, it's the quality of the components and the man who built it. I'm a decent shooter. I try, but thanks for the comments. I wish I shot better and could keep small itty bitty groups like this all the time! Can't do it though. Guess it's a character flaw dangit. :(

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts