460 s&w

J E Custom

I Recently purchased a 460 S&W and was looking for the optimum (Not the heaviest) bullet weight for hunting.

The big revolver will push a 300 grain XTP MAG over 2,000 ft/sec and appears to be ideal for all round performance.

Load data shows a range of bullet weights from 200 grain @ 2315 ft/sec to a 390 grain @ 1800 ft/sec. The 300 grain is almost 2100 ft/sec and should perform well in the 8.5" barrel.

I hope someone that has one, can make a recommendation based on experience with large game.

So far it is very accurate at 250 to 300 yards and has very little drop. the 250 grain FTX also looks very good but may be to light for longer shots.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

I was hopping that someone in Alaska or at least bear country would have some Experience and some suggestions for this cartridge.

Also some powder choices besides the H 110 and Lil'gun.

J E CUSTOM

H110 and 296 are the most common powders to push the heavy bullets in 454 Casull. And the 460 is faster, but similar. My brother has killed moose, grizzly, and Dall ram with his .454s. But most Alaskans I know carry their pistols for bear protection, rather than as their hunting weapon.

Most load heavier hard cast lead bullets for deep penetration on large bears. They don't expand, but with the semi-wad cutter flat-faced designs, they still prove lethal, plowing through bones and all else.

300gr on up would be common for bear protection loads. I load 335gr hard cast gas check bullets for my .454, but I don't hunt with it. A local man stopped a large old charging boar brown bear with 360gr bullets from his Ruger Alaskan .454. Make sure to tightly crimp the bullets. This guy's revolver jammed after his killing shot because his bullets jumped their crimps. Had the revolver jammed one shot prior, he'd be dead.

For smaller game, expanding bullets would probably be fine. For large bears at close range, heavy hard cast semi-wad cutter bullets are most common and recommended.

H110 and 296 are the most common powders to push the heavy bullets in 454 Casull. And the 460 is faster, but similar. My brother has killed moose, grizzly, and Dall ram with his .454s. But most Alaskans I know carry their pistols for bear protection, rather than as their hunting weapon.

Most load heavier hard cast lead bullets for deep penetration on large bears. They don't expand, but with the semi-wad cutter flat-faced designs, they still prove lethal, plowing through bones and all else.

300gr on up would be common for bear protection loads. I load 335gr hard cast gas check bullets for my .454, but I don't hunt with it. A local man stopped a large old charging boar brown bear with 360gr bullets from his Ruger Alaskan .454. Make sure to tightly crimp the bullets. This guy's revolver jammed after his killing shot because his bullets jumped their crimps. Had the revolver jammed one shot prior, he'd be dead.

For smaller game, expanding bullets would probably be fine. For large bears at close range, heavy hard cast semi-wad cutter bullets are most common and recommended.

Thanks !!

I have also used H 110 and Lilgun in my 454, but never tried the 296. I will have to get some and try it.

J E CUSTOM

H110 and W296 is the same powder. There may be a little difference between them like the difference between lots of the same number but they are the same powder.

I've heard that before also. The load data on Hodgdon's web site is identical for both powders, which supports them being the same. But I've never called Hodgdon to confirm it.

Last edited:
Only animals I ever shot with 460 were deer. All were shot with Hornady factory 200 FLex tip. Mostly driven deer shot from powderburn range to the furthest was 297 if memory serves. Most all of the I knew when you made a good hit by body language, but if a leg bone were not broken they needed to be trailed. Good luck I'll be following to see if I need to bring some life back to an old friend.

Only animals I ever shot with 460 were deer. All were shot with Hornady factory 200 FLex tip. Mostly driven deer shot from powderburn range to the furthest was 297 if memory serves. Most all of the I knew when you made a good hit by body language, but if a leg bone were not broken they needed to be trailed. Good luck I'll be following to see if I need to bring some life back to an old friend.

I have shot the 200 grain flex tip at indoor ranges and they are very manageable. I have also compared the bullet weights and energy's and found a good compromise that I am trying to use that should perform well on anything that could be hunted.

The 200 grain bullets can be loaded to over 2300 ft/lbs energy.
The 300 grain can be loaded to 2700 ft/lbs of energy.
Bullets in the 350 grain class will reach 2900 ft/lbs of energy but are for the most part unmanageable to some shooters. the 395 grain bullets are just plain mean no matter how tough you are.

So it looks like the 300 grain will be the best all round bullet for what I want, and that's what I want to work on at the moment. I have also looked at the 325 grain bullets and they offer only more recoil and very little increase in energy.

I have also found that the magnum bullets work best because lots of the .452 diameter bullets are not strong enough (jackets are to thin) for the 460 and intended for use in lighter 454 loads and the 45 long colts.

Any load suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

J E CUSTOM

JE, I'm thinking about getting a 16 1/8" inch barrel for my encore, what twist rate would you go for? I'd like to get a muzzle break and a cap for it too. Do you or anyone you know do that work? Any recommendations? Can you help?

Sounds Interesting, I read good stuff about match grade machine. Tell be about the Wilson Combat break? and diverter, I'll have to look them up, I have heard about Wilson Combat, but I thought they were into ar's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.