45 raptor and 460 s&w reamer print

concordshooter

does anyone have 45 raptor reamer print or 460 s&w rifle reamer print. I am looking for one that headspace on case mouth, supposed to be what I got from Ptg, but don't think so. So I figured I'd get a print here faster than asking them. Or just good pic of your reamer would tell me alot.

does anyone have 45 raptor reamer print or 460 s&w rifle reamer print. I am looking for one that headspace on case mouth, supposed to be what I got from Ptg, but don't think so. So I figured I'd get a print here faster than asking them. Or just good pic of your reamer would tell me alot.

The 460 S&W is a rimed case and the 45 Raptor is a rimless case and head spaces on the case mouth like the 45 ACP.

Here is a link that should answer your questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45_Raptor

J E CUSTOM

I am aware of how they are different, I was looking for a print. so I can confirm how mine is ground, I understood, that this reamer "460 s&w rifle reamer" was to be ground to headspace of case mouth like the raptor. If I recall you have done one or a few 460 rifles. did you make barrel half moon barrel shoulder recessed into bolt head to headspace top rim? or how did you set them up?

The 460 S&W is a rimed case and the 45 Raptor is a rimless case and head spaces on the case mouth like the 45 ACP.

Here is a link that should answer your questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45_Raptor

J E CUSTOM
I am aware of how they are different, I was looking for a print. so I can confirm how mine is ground, I understood, that this reamer "460 s&w rifle reamer" was to be ground to headspace of case mouth like the raptor. If I recall you have done one or a few 460 rifles. did you make barrel half moon barrel shoulder recessed into bolt head to headspace top rim? or how did you set them up?

I head spaced on the rim and cut an extractor relief so The rifle could shoot the 460 ammo and the 454 plus the 45 long colt.

I did not want to have to trim the cases every time I loaded to maintain head space on such a powerful cartridge. and with straight sided cases this is very important.

I looked at the 45 Raptor but decided against the rimless case for the reasons I mentioned. If I didn't already have a 460 S&W pistol I would probably have chosen the 450 Marlin for the power and head space control.

Just My opinion and choice for a large and legal cartridge for states that have restrictions on large bore cartridges/rifles.

Here is the chamber dimensions.
https://www.google.com/search?q=460...rbYCA#imgrc=l5281_cQRQyYVM:&spf=1500578571183

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.