4 big game animals in 2.5 days with a revolver

Ernie

SPONSOR
I had a lot of success hunting this past week using my GP-100 357 Magnum Franken-Ruger.
This revolver is stupid accurate.
Used Hornady 158 grain XTP Hollowpoint. MV was 1471 fps.
Even set up Thursday night to look for elk, but they didn't show.
Had a great time!
Just thought I would put all four animals in one post.
A good friend of mine, Dan E., also shot his first every deer with my FR.
That makes 5 animals in 2.5 days.

189 yards sitting position with Bog-Gear

40-50 yards standing with the buck facing me.

85 yards quartering shot, standing using Bog-Gear as a monopod...hurried shot

99 yards double kneeling using Bog-Gear

Sweet man congrats on an awesome couple days! Bet that called for a knife sharpening or two! Love the pistol. Revolvers are just cool in my book!

Great looking pistol! I have a few questions on this, why the g-100 over the Redhawk frame? And if you were to do it over again would you do the 357 mag or a 41 or 44 mag?? Just looking for some insight I'm like these a lot! :)

Great looking pistol! I have a few questions on this, why the g-100 over the Redhawk frame? And if you were to do it over again would you do the 357 mag or a 41 or 44 mag?? Just looking for some insight I'm like these a lot! :)
Because the 357 magnum is very adequate to kill deer and antelope with the distances I shot them at.
I have another Franken Ruger in a Redhawk, it's a 44 mag but it was not ready to go during the season.
6" barrel

Because the 357 magnum is very adequate to kill deer and antelope with the distances I shot them at.
I have another Franken Ruger in a Redhawk, it's a 44 mag but it was not ready to go during the season.
6" barrel

I hope you didn't take this as I was questioning you. I have never seen one of these till this post. And I noticed that he used Redhawk "Actions" and how popular they are for strength. I know very little to nothing about gp-100's. I was just trying to pick your brain. Because I want one and you got my wheels turning! :D gun) Thanks, Slaysesh

Last edited:
I hope you didn't take this as I was questioning you. I have never seen one of these till this post. And I noticed that he used Redhawk "Actions" and how popular they are for strength. I know very little to nothing about gp-100's. I was just trying to pick your brain. Because I want one and you got my wheels turning! :D gun) Thanks, Slaysesh

No problem on the questions.
The GP-100 is a smaller frame for the 357 Mag, while the Redhawk is for the the 44 Mag, 41 mag, and 45 LC
I have shot a friend's 41 Mag Franken-Ruger at distance as well-Nice.
You will also be able to get a better trigger pull with the GP-100 over the Redhawk.
In the end, get the chambering you want.
E

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.