.338 ? on Remington action

Rckymtnshooter

I have a Remington 300 win mag in the 5r milspec that I am looking at rebarreling to a .338 caliber cartridge. I want to shoot the heavy, 285 - 300 grain bullets. It looks like the 338 ultra mag would be the easiest conversion. I am wanting to use the HS precision stock that came with the gun. Am I missing any other better options in this caliber ?

338 Edge would give some increased performance, and if I remember right its simple as running 300RUM through a .338 expander. So one more step, but for running the 285-300s it may be worth it.
My 300 RUM barrel is toast. I am building a EDGE out of it this winter. As said this will give a little better performance than the 338 RUM without being to much brass prep. I will be trying the 285 ELD-M and 300 Berger with R33 and N570.

I have a Remington 300 win mag in the 5r milspec that I am looking at rebarreling to a .338 caliber cartridge. I want to shoot the heavy, 285 - 300 grain bullets.

There are a couple of questions that need answers before you simply pull a cartridge out of the air and decide that's what you will re-barrel to.

Will you be using this for a hunting rifle for the most part? Retaining the stock might indicate this but it's not discussed.

If you want to retain the original stock, we should assume that the original barrel contour will follow? What about barrel length?

Have you decided on the OAL of the cartridge of choice given that these .338 bullets are significantly longer than the original .30 caliber? If yes, what will you use for a feeding system; BDL, DBM or single shot?

Regards.

Everyone has valid points.

I've taken that R700 in 300RUM and made other things with it. Switch to a RUM based case and you will have the least problems and most fun for the investment.

@bigngreen has a significant point about feeding in the 338RUM vs Edge. On the other hand that .090 of length means 3.6 less grains of powder. On the other hand, of loading to fit a magazine that is a moot point or a slight advantage to the RUM because of less bullet below the neck. On the other hand......

There are all sorts of compromises each way.

The Edge will push the 300grain Bergers maybe 100FPS faster if loaded to optimal length vs magazine length. The 285 ELD-M? No load data to speak of. My data from 285 A-Max compared to the QL model indicates about 120fps faster with the Edge.

It is just a matter of "pick your poison". They will both be addicting and satisfying.

This would be for a hunting rifle, long range rock busting rifle. I put together another 300 wm that is my primary hunting rifle. I would rather have two different calibers than two 300 wm's.

I am in the planning stage and need to figure out the way to set the rifle up. I would like to use the BDL metal with the biggest mag box available but am also open to chambering for single shot if that is a noticeable performance gain.

I am thinking a 28 inch barrel in the original contour. I have a Brux on my other 300 and have been happy with it. Proof research is a 10 minute drive from my house and I was thinking of one of their barrels also.

I am leaning towards the 338 rum. What work would I expect to have done to feed the rum through this action.

This would be for a hunting rifle, long range rock busting rifle.
I would like to use the BDL metal with the biggest mag box available but am also open to chambering for single shot if that is a noticeable performance gain.
I am thinking a 28 inch barrel in the original contour.
I am leaning towards the 338 rum.

Your description is pretty much what I came up with while asking questions. Simple things first:

Selecting the .338 RUM means you need a new box and follower anyway. The rails will need to be adjusted as will the feed ramp.

The factory BDL will work if you keep the OAL to about 3.600" for the magazine. But you have the alternative to use one of those Wyatt boxes which will require cobbling your receiver to accommodate the length of the box and feeding the longer cartridges. You will also need a new follower.

I am personally comfortable with a single shot, unfortunately, others may not be as comfortable.

I think the 28" barrel is about as long as most of us would be comfortable hunting with. If this rifle was relegated to a bench or prone shooting without much walking and carrying, then the sky's the limit on length.

Given the capacity of the cases suggested, I believe that the best weight is still the 250 gr. VLDs, whether for targets or for hunting. There is not a significant increase in powder and energy to provide the horsepower to drive the heavier 285/300 grain class bullets. But, no one is saying that it can't be done, because it's being done every day, just without the best performance available.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.