• under 700 yards

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • 700-1000 yards

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 1000 +

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

dragman

I just finished up my hunting gun for the year. 300 win mag with 155 berger hunting VLD's I believe the load is right around 3300fps can't verify that til my new chrono shows up (other one broke dropped it on ground and it went crazy). my question is what do you all think is a good maximum for white tail deer with that info. I am thinking 1200, but would like some imput from others.

Shooter ballistic calculator says it hits 1800 fps at 740 yards and 1000 ft lbs of energy at 800 yards at sea level and 59*.
Just curios, why such a light bullet? I would be afraid to shoot something at close range with that bullet at that velocity.
At 1200 yards its going 1191 fps with 488 ft lbs of energy and hits transonic velocity at 1290 yards.

gun is built with a 14 twist barrel. If I was the original builder and it was my choice it would have had a 10 twist and I would shoot 190's. But the gun shoots so good I am gonna try it I think. looking at the calculator I think 1000 yards looks to be the max for white tail after that it would just be a little too low in energy.
I do have to say that with this set up there is almost no recoil. infact my 6br with no brake hits harder than this 300 win.

I think 1000 is right about the limit. although until 1200 it's mathimatically ok I think right about 1000 is the limit. those who vote under 700 please tell me why you vote that direction I just like to see why and the reasoning.

I voted for under 700 because of the ballistic I posted earlier. What is the altitude and temp that you will be hunting whitetail at?

if you shoot a very soft bullet you might get 900 yards out of it. I wouldnt trust reliable expansion past 1600 fps with any bullet. My personal limit is 1800fps, just to be safe... except yotes and wolves (as long as I get lead in them im happy).

Palma guys shoot 1000 with similar bullets, but for hunting I would stay at 700. Too much wind drift at longer ranges with that bullet.

temp will be between 20-50F and the altitude is under 1000ft. I am gonna try and chrono the load tomorrow if my new chrono shows up and then I will know a little more of what I am working with.

if you shoot a very soft bullet you might get 900 yards out of it. I wouldnt trust reliable expansion past 1600 fps with any bullet. My personal limit is 1800fps, just to be safe... except yotes and wolves (as long as I get lead in them im happy).
good limit's I think you are probably right 900 may be the limit unless I can push her a little faster.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.