• Norma

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Federal

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters

N8ewy

I've been using Lapua brass from the beginning with my .308. It's time to start working up a load for my .300win mag for this spring. I mostly shoot target at as long a range as I can find. What the heck kind of brass is available that might approach the quality assurance that I get with my beloved Lapua components?

To save a thread, I'm open to any suggestions for recipes and bullets to start.

I have to find some good brass first I guess. How does Norma brass measure up?
I want Lapua dang it.

Dohn Smythe.

300win Lapua brass has become very hard to find, but what I use from an old stash. I have none to sell. RWS is close in quality and even stronger, but has lower case capacity. So what I have been recommending to others is use WW brass (close to same volume as Lapua) then be prepared to cull some and do a little more initial case prep. We have been able to get very good accuracy and case life from WW.

WW Brass, Fed GM 215 M primer

Start with 73 gr of H-1000 and work toward 77~78 watch for pressure

In a 1 in 10 twist tube use Berger 215 Hybrid Targets seated at the lands and work back from there to tune seating depth. Mine likes -040" off the lands.

Jeff

My top 5 are (in order of my preference)...

Nosler
Norma
Winchester
Hornady
Remington

Norma makes brass for Nosler, HOWEVER, Nosler gets the brass in, then chamfers, deburrs everything, and even weight-sorts the brass per package. So I don't mind paying a little extra for the Nosler brand name on the brass simply because my Nosler brass all weighs within .3 grains of each other at the most. Majority are within .1 grain weight difference. Which is great, because that saves me alot of time and headache.

But regular Norma brass works great if you can't find Nosler. And in my experiences, Winchester brass has been an excellent case, too.

I have also never had any issues with Hornady brass either. It's less expensive than Nosler, and Norma, but it's good stuff, too.

I use WW brass with my 300. I also have some new norma brass that i'm saving.
My loads consist of H1000 powder and CCI magnum primers pushing 215 Bergers. :)

I might know where some RWS cases are. They are 40.00 per 20. If your interested seemed me a PM. I run these cases and am on my 6 reload, but I also anneal after each time I shoot, and primer pockets are still tight.

The last batch I bought I went in for 200 cases because these guys are hard to come by.

300win Lapua brass has become very hard to find, but what I use from an old stash.
Jeff

I had always understood that the Lapua .300 Win Mag brass was actually made by Norma for Lapua. Does it appear to you to have been made to different specs than the currently available Norma brass?

I had always understood that the Lapua .300 Win Mag brass was actually made by Norma for Lapua. Does it appear to you to have been made to different specs than the currently available Norma brass?

Yes, I believe that is correct that Norma made the brass for Lapua. Not sure if Lapua gave them any specs. But I am running my 300 win at max. I have 10+ firings on the 300 win Lapua brass and am just starting to get some loose primer pockets. I have never had any Norma brass last over 5 firings when run at max. So I have to say the Lapua head stamp brass I am running in my 300 win is not as strong as 338 Lapua brass but it is lasting better than Norma has for me. For whatever that observation is worth.:)

And Yes DocB, as Mud stated WW = Winchester Western / Winchester brass.

Jeff

Yes, I believe that is correct that Norma made the brass for Lapua. Not sure if Lapua gave them any specs. But I am running my 300 win at max. I have 10+ firings on the 300 win Lapua brass and am just starting to get some loose primer pockets. I have never had any Norma brass last over 5 firings when run at max. So I have to say the Lapua head stamp brass I am running in my 300 win is not as strong as 338 Lapua brass but it is lasting better than Norma has for me. For whatever that observation is worth.:)

And Yes DocB, as Mud stated WW = Winchester Western / Winchester brass.

Jeff

What's up Jeffro? Been a minute... You should be proud, I recently acquired a new rifle, and it happens to be in your favorite caliber... :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts