300 win mag loads for 180 gr SST

Savage30cal

I just got a Savage 110-10 in .300 win mag an i have alot of 180 gr SST i was hoping some one out there can help with finding new powders i tried so H4831 to start that was laying around. I have used H4895 in my 30-06 for atleast the past 16 years so im not to fimiliar with the new powders or the reloader line of powders.

I just got a Savage 110-10 in .300 win mag an i have alot of 180 gr SST i was hoping some one out there can help with finding new powders i tried so H4831 to start that was laying around. I have used H4895 in my 30-06 for atleast the past 16 years so im not to fimiliar with the new powders or the reloader line of powders.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

H4831SC is my go to powder for my .300 Win Mag and most of my other other hunting rifles with very good success

You might want try H1000 and IMR7828SSC. I know the H4831/SC and H1000 are scarce these days, at least on the shelves of my LGS, but the IMR7828SSC are on the shelves most of the time.

Good luck!

How are the other powders are they a finer grain. I found that the H4831 is like reloading presto logs through my measure.

Thank you for the info. Another question is that i shoot when its a 110 outside all the way to -5 so im also looking for a really consistant powder.

Thank you for the info. Another question is that i shoot when its a 110 outside all the way to -5 so im also looking for a really consistant powder.

I don't recall shooting them that hot, probably hi 80s to mid 90s but I hunted -10F and colder in Montana.

http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page2.php#top

He doesn't post as much anymore but GG is one of the SMEs that most of us look up to >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/powder-temperature-sensitivity-31096/

Last edited by a moderator:

Just keep them in a cooler while at the range.

I shoot 180's in my gun. But they are Nosler AB 180s. I shoot 71 grains of H4350 which is above the book MAX in some recipes. So work up to it.

Thank you guys for the info its been really helpful. Im going to try some H4831SC an H1000 an see what happens ill post the results of how it worked an ill try the cooler idea after i get a decent load worked up.

We used 76gr/R22/180XBTs in two 300 Winmags in South Africa and then drove over to Namibia. We had worked up those loads around 60deg at around 6000ft. South Africa was like early winter, frost on the ground at night and up to about 75 at noon. Namibia would get down to 20deg at night and 120 deg by noon! We never had any issues with bolt lift or change in zero, at least out to about 375yds. BTW 76/R22 seems to be one of those "accurate" loads in just about any 300 winmag. No doubt about it though, H4831 long or short will work just as well and it really is temp stable. I had no problems with R19 in 2 240Ws I had but in a 338WM and the 185XLC it was a problem. I had worked up the load around 60degs, but by December a storm came in and we were 10deg here in the valley! I checked my zero and I was all over the place and about 150fps slower! I went to H4350 and never had another problem. It's just good to test any load with any powder at extreme temps if you can. Good luck to you and you will love that 300 win!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.