300 RUM model 700 LSS Best bang for the buck

dirtydog

I am wanting to invest in my LH Remington 300RUM LSS. It is currently bone stock aside from a muzzle break that I had a local gunsmith install. I want to start to improve in the rifles accuracy. I have a small budget $600ish to drop and want to get the most bang for my buck.

I use this primarily for mountain hunting so weight is of concern, but I would like to get it as accurate as possible. Currently considering replacing the laminated stock with a HS precision or McMillian stock and a trigger ( timney, Jewell).
1. Is the McMillian really worth the extra money over HS Precision? It looks like I would spend close to an extra $200 for the McMillian.
2. If I stay with the stock barrel is it worth having the action trued?
3. What am i gaining in spending the extra on a Jewell vs the Timney?
As you can tell I am very green on this but am excited to start learning.
If this was your rifle what would you do with the limited funds to increase accuracy?
Thanks in advance

1) Since you are concerned with accuracy and weight: I would think about a Bell & Carlson stock. 1/2 price of a HS or McMillian and about a pound lighter than the laminated one. And If you bed the B&C stock it would definitely be an accuracy enhancement.
2) True the action: No, money is better spent else where for the budget.
3) You will gain nothing with the Jewell, get the Timney. Now if this was a dedicated LR rifle, I would consider the Jewell.

B&C stock $ 275.00
Bedding compound and maybe pillars $ 25.00
Timney trigger $150.00
$450.00 total and see how she shoots. Put the rest toward a better scope or rings.

I am wanting to invest in my LH Remington 300RUM LSS. It is currently bone stock aside from a muzzle break that I had a local gunsmith install. I want to start to improve in the rifles accuracy. I have a small budget $600ish to drop and want to get the most bang for my buck.

I use this primarily for mountain hunting so weight is of concern, but I would like to get it as accurate as possible. Currently considering replacing the laminated stock with a HS precision or McMillian stock and a trigger ( timney, Jewell).
1. Is the McMillian really worth the extra money over HS Precision? It looks like I would spend close to an extra $200 for the McMillian.
If this was your rifle what would you do with the limited funds to increase accuracy?
Thanks in advance

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! Barrelnut started you very well.

How does your rifle shoot now and what are you considering long range? Your current scope and load (factory or handload) might also help.

"I" picked the Timney CE over the Jewell on my last full custom build.

Please take no offense but the NUT behind the trigger remains a key factor in accuracy and often overlooked. :):Dgun)

Id bed it first before i replaced the stock. The ones i have done load development on have gained the most by that. If that didnt get me where i wanted i would true the action and as already stated put the money in glass.

I bought a 700 LSS in 270 WSM a while back. It was not a great shooter and I tried everything to make it better. After pillar bedding, a trigger job, messing with pressure points on the barrel, and dozens of trips to the range I finally had enough. It would not shoot under 1" consistently. I sent the barreled action to Pac-Nor and had them install a #5 fluted barrel. The gun is now a tack driver. The laminate stocks on these guns are good quality and very solid. If I had $600 to put into that rifle I'd put it toward a match grade barrel. You'll be a little over your budget if you get the brake put on but I think its worth spending a little more. I was around $900 for the super match stainless barrel, action truing, barrel fluting, threading, and muzzle brake. You'd be a bit less since you already have a brake and you wouldn't need the fluting.

Any idea what the factory stock weighs after the pillars and bedding? Replacing the stock was primarily for cutting the weight.

Any idea what the factory stock weighs after the pillars and bedding? Replacing the stock was primarily for cutting the weight.
I believe they are right around 2 lbs. I have a take-off from a magnum action LSS that I can weigh this afternoon to give you an exact number. There are lighter synthetic stocks out there but you have to look a little to find one under 30 oz.

That would be helpful if you could weigh it, Any idea how much weight is added after pillars and bedding?

If it were me (and it's not, so build it like you want it...), I'd go with a Bell & Carlson medalist stock (I did just that) as it will save you money and it's lighter than the Rem LS stock. It has a aluminum bedding block in it, so it might shoot good with no bedding (mine is bedded). The cost of the B&C stock is less than HS or McMillan.

If I were to stay with the stock barrel, I'd be inclined to not true the action. Part of truing the action is recutting the barrel threads, normally. I personally would want a new barrel on it if action truing were performed. I suppose it's possible to true the action, and set the existing barrel back a considerable amount to recut the barrel tenon, but at that point, you may as well have a new barrel.

If money is tight, I'd personally be inclined to simply square up the receiver face and screw on a new barrel like a McGowan, Pac-Nor, etc., prefit, as opposed to a full action truing with the factory barrel.

I would only do a Jewel trigger if I were building a bench/target gun. Even the factory Remington trigger can be made quite good if you know what/how to adjust it, though it might be best to go aftermarket. I adjusted my factory trigger. It's pretty good.

I started with a 300 RUM LH LSS I got from my brother in law. This is where I ended up:

27" Krieger bbl. Lt Palma contour. (brake not included in length)
Karl Kampfeld 3 port brake
Action trued
Side bolt release installed
Mini M16 extractor installed
300 RUM chamber (0.098" throat, 0.343" neck)
Wyatt's extended box (3.825" inside box)
Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, with aluminum block and also bedded
Titanium cerakote

Jon Beanland Custom Rifles did all the work. I'm quite pleased with it as it sits. Only have about 35 rounds down the tube, but it's showing sub 1/2 MOA at 200 yards with a Berger 210 VLDH at 3150 fps.

With limited funds, your options are very limited unless you can do the work yourself.

The obvious things:
-Bed the factory stock using some pillars (Brownell's sells some pillars for a low cost. That's where I got mine for the factory laminated stock)
-Adjust the trigger, or go aftermarket (Jewel might not be needed here unless you're doing a target/bench gun)
-Get a Wyatt's extended box, if your factory barrel is long throated (mine was ~0.500" long). This will allow you to get closer to the lands, which should improve accuracy, I would think.

The Before:

The After (with my fat ugly face included):

Thanks in advance

I just weighed the factory stock at 2lb 7oz with recoil pad. I don't think the bedding and pillars would add more than an ounce. So it looks like there is some weight to be saved there if you changed out the stock. You can probably sell the factory stock for $100-150, and maybe as high as $180 to help offset the cost of a new one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.