300 RUM Barrel Length

Which Barrel length would you use for a carry LRH/Tactical 300 RUM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont know about the range between here and there but I do know a bench in Tippo we can go as long as we want on a nice concrete bench in the delta over cut beans...just kinda sucks its 2 hours north but we can shoot it all day out to around 1800 maybe a lil more....only AM Ive held is the 270 not mind boggling but is a lil longer than the RUM and the 270 bullet makes it look fatter than the RUM.

Makes a 300WM look like a 243.

There is a a reloading shed also, friends Dads....He will let us do about whatever we want. But I usually load in groups of 5 and take 20 or so to find the 100 yd load that I WANT....then load those up for the next trip....I need to build a 100 yarder at my house....might just do that this afternoon!

Contrary to popular belief the powder is burnt completely in the first 3 to 4 inches and a longer barrel gives more velocity,with all bullet wieghts.....

Not hardly...

Have you ever seen a pressure trace from a strain gage on a barrel???

If you had, you would never make this statement.

Look at a short barreled, large cartridge rifle shoot at night some time.

This is another urban shooting legend in the making.

I thought that the fireball that accures when the bullet exist the barrel was caused by the introduction of oxygen into the barrel once the bullet leaves, kinda like when you open a door and there a fire behind it and the flames jump out and burns your nose eyebrows off.

Velocity Gains..

back when I did some testing on rimfires, I cut back a 30" barrel half an inch at a time. I stopped at a barrel lenght of 12. and found some very interesting data...

velocity increased up to the 19.5 inches and then slowed down as the barrel lenght increased.

with a barrel lenght of 19.5 inches, I had top speed, anything else longer than that only slowed the bullet...

with the longest barrel I had the smallest ES.. dont know why, maybe factory ammo...(getting a good average for ammo?..)

my 2 cents...

Joe from Mexico

Welcome to the forum. I asked this question a while back and most people thought the rum sweet spot was 28-30 " for barrel length. I was looking at rebarrelling a std factory 26 " on a sendero. I might be wrong, but this is what I was leaning to ?

Good luck !
Shoots like a dream from mine at 26in, just cruising around 2850fps with 225s, 1-10 twist. I might go longer down the road but it's got the thump!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts