2nd baby on the way gotta streamline the collection...

nelson

I am streamlining my collection as my beautiful wife is having another baby. My goal is to have the ultimate 5-6 rifle collection I have the varmit side and long range/Tatical stuff covered what i need now is the ultimate super duper do anything hunting rifle any suggestions as to the cartridge I should choose for this application I have read countless magazine articles on the subject but I am looking for real world everyday type of info....Suggestions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

.280 ackley imp, rem la, 28" to 30" pac-nor barrel in a nice laminated stock. Easy to find components, easy to form brass (accurate loads while fire forming so very few shots get wasted) and will dump everything from rockchucks as far as you dare to elk at 1k. Hard to beat a gun similar to this for all around in the lower 48. Load it with 150 gr B tips and go take on the wild world of meat.

Wish I had one. It is next on my list.

While 4ked recommends the 280IMP, it is a hell of a round, I am looking for something with a little more pop.

I have been thinking about a gun similiar to what you are talking about. My pick would be the 338 Kahn throated to push the 300gr Wildcat ULD or its 325gr flat based brother. With this rig I know you can handle anything in North America. The only prob with it is finding a action that will support a repeater.

IF you do the math on a bullet that has a BC of high .8, a weight of 300grs, and a velocity of 3100fps, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are not thinking of shooting brown bear I would say go with the 280IMP, or if you really feel like pushing the envelope go with the 7mm Allen Mag with the 200gr ULD.

Aint much that can compare to it.

good luck
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts