280 AI Production Rifle Recommendation

I have done several pre-fits myself, mainly on R700s I true up and get shouldered prefits. I have been waiting close to 6 months though for my latest pre-fit from Carbon Six. If you have a good gun smith there is nothing wrong with buying a blank and have it chambered. If you are going to do a pre-fit yourself you need to buy a few things. I would check x-caliber lead times I think they have went down lately. Mcgowen is another good barrel maker. Preffered is ok, criterion is good for barrel nut style heavy barrels. Carbon Six is amazing but as you can see I am dealing with a long lead time.

7mm man,
Thanks! I'd like to get two rifles anyway so that I can give one to my son, so maybe I will start with the re-barrel and then start doing some load development with that. Later in the year I could pick up a production rifle.

New question, what is the fastest way to get one rebarrelled? Are pre-fit barrels the way to go and do I want one with a shoulder? This is new territory for me, but I have a Gunsmith locally, who is very reputable, and could spin a barrel on for me pretty quickly. In fact, he rebarrelled another Tikka for me last year with a preferred barrel blanks 7MM rem mag. But I had to wait three months for that barrel and I'd like to move more quickly on this project as we have some vacation time set aside in May to spend a couple days shooting on our hunting lease.
Probably the most affordable route but may not be the quickest route. I'd call around pacnor and others see what the back log was, i looked at them doing a 220 swift for me and it was 3-4 months out as well. Or sell the tikka and put towards your new rifle. Just depends on where you are with budget and how practical you wanna be on the $$ side.

I want to try my hand at the 280 Ackley but don't want to spend $3000+ on a custom type rifle. Would love to hear some recommendations on a good production rifle. Seems that Kimber produces their excellent mountain line in 280 Ackley, as well as some Savage and Weatherby offerings. Can anyone recommend something that I could get into and be shooting in the next week or so?
Kimber Montana or hunter.
Used cooper
Maybe hawkins

I'm going to throw a curveball into the conversation. I have an older stainless Tikka T3 in 270 that is just sitting in the safe but is in a nice manners stock. Maybe I will just rebarrel that to 280 AI. Would love to hear some thoughts on that as an option or does it make more sense to just go with a Browning, Weatherby, Kimber, etc.? 🤔
Smart move if you aren't planning on running really heavy bullets seated out.
For the cost though an extra 1000 dollar gun is better value

We love to spend another person's $$$$. You have a number of options. I've never bought a factory rifle that I didn't handle first. I also rarely buy a rifle that I have a lot of experience with. I just like to try different things. It's probably not the best financial decision, but life is too short.

Good luck with your decision.