28 nosler chamber with a 1.5 degree throat?

bgbuck153

Anyone hear about doing a 1.5 degree throat vs. a 3 degree? I talked to proof carbon today and he said to do that. He said guys that are struggling with accuracy are getting it changed from 3 to 1.5 and are getting they're guns to shoot.

When JGS built my reamer they put a 1.5 degree on it. I sent them a dummy round with a 195 grain Berger seated where I wanted it and they did the rest.

its my understanding most Berger bullets or longer nosed bullets for that matter like a 1.5 degree lead .I can see in my mind the 1.5* lead will be softer on the bullet when engaging the lands which I would think helps the engraving process and will ease pressure also, who knows it may even help when the throat may not be perfectly centered

The main difference is that going to a 1.5 o lead will give you a little more bullet jump because the bullet contacts the lead angle a little later. (Kind of like throating to add freebore).

A more gentle approach to the rifling cant hurt. (Not sure I have seen any improvements, but I have not seen any degradation in accuracy.

Like many things in this sport, somethings in theory sound better but in fact/practical use, are not.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts