.277 dia. 115 gr HPBT MatchKing

From my experience with light weight 277 bullets at high velocity the advantage is less recoil allowing more consistent accuracy in field conditions.

90 and 110 grain bullets @ 3600FPS were super varmint loads but little chutes opened at about 420 for the 90s and just a little farther for the 110s. Shots beyond 425 were next to if not impossible. Shots around 420 yds were ~80% hits.

I'd figure the 115 SMK would do better than either the 90 or 110 grain offerings. Especially out of a WSM loaded up a bit.

I'd see if a decent load using a ball powder could be developed. Should extend barrel life a bit.

Let us know what pans out.....

would it be ok to start under this load?

Load 2867 in caliber .270 WSM

LoadID 2867
Bullet Sierra BTHP
Bullet Weight 115 grs
Powder Hodgdon 4831SC
Powder Weight 71 grs
Primer CCI Magnum
Brass Make FCC
Barrel Length 24 (inches)
C.O.L 2.71 (inches)
Velocity 3520 fps
Group 100 yds 0.24 (inches)
Submitted By Spurs
Gun Info SS Win. Coyote
Comment

http://www.reloadersnest.com/unverified_detail.asp?CaliberID=291&ID=2867

Spino,

I'd venture that the load stated is ok to start below. I'd think that 4831(sc) would be a bit slow for that bullet.

I got 3600+ out of a Win & 90 & 100 gr bulets w/N204.

If a Win w/130s & 58gr of 4350 was just a bit hot but good enough for a standard hunting load it may be a decent powder to try w/the 115s in the WSM.

Maybe someone w/that internal ballistics program (forgot the name) could shed some light on your problem????

Remember it's just a computer generated bunch of data and use at your own risk and with proper loading techniques.
ScreenHunter_01May-1.jpg

ScreenHunter_02May.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
From my experience with light weight 277 bullets at high velocity the advantage is less recoil allowing more consistent accuracy in field conditions.

90 and 110 grain bullets @ 3600FPS were super varmint loads but little chutes opened at about 420 for the 90s and just a little farther for the 110s. Shots beyond 425 were next to if not impossible. Shots around 420 yds were ~80% hits.

I'd figure the 115 SMK would do better than either the 90 or 110 grain offerings. Especially out of a WSM loaded up a bit.

I'd see if a decent load using a ball powder could be developed. Should extend barrel life a bit.

Let us know what pans out.....

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by extending barrel life a bit? Are you saying that using ball powder will extend barrel life?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.