270 guy here, other caliber options?

I have never noticed much difference in recoil between a 270 win and a 25/06.
But the jump to .243 win is significant, and it will kill mule deer just fine.

Thanks guys, hadn't thought of the muzzle break honestly. With that said if it's up to 300$ I'd almost rather buy a new rifle and throw down some more money. Currently have a vanguard S2, I've always kinda lusted after an A or X bolt in some fashion.

There are effective muzzle brakes in the $50-$75 range. There's also the clamp on type for $90, Threaded Muzzle Brake Threaded Muzzle Brake [MB3] - $89.00 : Witt Machine) and a few members here have them (IIRC, gohring3006 has his on .300 WBTY) ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/ALWIeyyNcxo?t=251[/ame]

An effective muzzle brake not only reduce felt recoil but also the muzzle rise, being able to see target on impact is priceless.

If you just want to buy another rifle, that's a different story, just offering you an alternative. I am not recoil sensitive but most of my rifles (including AR in .223 Wylde) now sports muzzle brake or suppressor.

Cheers!

We went out to do some fire forming and barrel break in on our newest custom rifle for our customer. It is a Proof carbon fiber barrel at 26" in Sendero contour topper with Nightforce SHV total weight of 10.5lbs. Did not chronograph the fire form loads but would expect them to be very close to 3000fps with 181g bullet. Rifle was riding bags and it had the same felt recoil as 22-250 that we were shooting deer with two weeks ago. Quite frankly this rifle was the most fun I have ever had shooting a high powered rifle. I was going to pull the Pain Killer off to compare but did not have a wrench with and was unable to get it by hand. Will do it at next range session. The brake is the medium PK not turned down at all. If there is another brake out there that will do this for $50 I would like to see it.

Steve

A Ross Schuler MB or similar at under $50 will definitely reduce a .270 Win's felt recoil to .243's or .25-06's that the OP is considering. The key is we have plenty of choices at varying prices, applications, preferences, performances, etc ...

Muzzle brake is a good idea if you want to stay with your .270. If you were leaning towards another rifle the 6.5 Creedmoor gets my vote also. My first year hunting with a Browning X Bolt in the 6.5 CM with 120 gr. Sierra P H bullets and so far it's putting meat on the table as good as my 30/06 and without the recoil.

25-06 will be lighter than the 270, but i would say a 7-08 would be lighter recoil and probably a little lighter to pack as well. couldn't go wrong with any of them.

Weatherby Vanguard s2 comes in 7mm-08. Recoil is light. My wife picked that rifle and I picked he cartridge for light recoil and effectiveness on deer. She shot her first deer with it this season. I enjoy shooting it better than a 30-30 Marlin 336.

Ammo is available locally at Cabela's and Academy, but it might be slightly more than .270.

KSCHEVY,

The poster who wrote that the .243 Win will kill deer is absolutely correct.

I've had more than a few shoulder surgeries. They're only going to get worse until they're replaced. Hence, I can write from a position of knowledge vis-a-vis your predicament.

You don't need another rifle nor do you need a muzzle break. Have a good recoil pad fitted to your stock, and you'll be good to go.

One would have to stretch a whole lot to claim a cartridge better than a .270 Win for North American big game hunting. It will kill deer very dead. It will kill elk very dead. As long as you put a .270 Win bullet in big game oxygenated blood pumping equipment, it will kill everything just as dead as any mega-magnum. Shot placement kills big game, not caliber diameter.

Bad shoulder and all, I can shoot a Model 700 .270 Win with 130 grain bullets loaded with 60 grains of H-4831. I can shoot the same rifle with a max load of 150 grain Partitions and RL-22 powder. I did have a recoil pad installed on my rifle.

I'm applying for bull elk again this year. If I'm drawn, I'll be hunting with my Model 700 .270 Win. In fact, while I have more powerful rifles, the rest of my hunting from here on out will be with a .270 Win. And it has a 22" barrel on it.

BTW, my 43+ year-old Model 700 in .270 Win will shoot sub .5 MOA. And I load for hunting, not target shooting.

One of the two farthest shots I've made was with my 43+ year old Model 700 .270 Win. But I'd rather shoot at a hundred yards than farther.

Muzzle brake is a good idea if you want to stay with your .270. If you were leaning towards another rifle the 6.5 Creedmoor gets my vote also. My first year hunting with a Browning X Bolt in the 6.5 CM with 120 gr. Sierra P H bullets and so far it's putting meat on the table as good as my 30/06 and without the recoil.

Nice, how do you like the X Bolt?

Weatherby Vanguard s2 comes in 7mm-08. Recoil is light. My wife picked that rifle and I picked he cartridge for light recoil and effectiveness on deer. She shot her first deer with it this season. I enjoy shooting it better than a 30-30 Marlin 336.

Ammo is available locally at Cabela's and Academy, but it might be slightly more than .270.

That's what my 270 is, the S2. Better than the original vanguard I had years back but it is kinda hefty compared to other offerings.

KSCHEVY,

The poster who wrote that the .243 Win will kill deer is absolutely correct.

I've had more than a few shoulder surgeries. They're only going to get worse until they're replaced. Hence, I can write from a position of knowledge vis-a-vis your predicament.

You don't need another rifle nor do you need a muzzle break. Have a good recoil pad fitted to your stock, and you'll be good to go.

One would have to stretch a whole lot to claim a cartridge better than a .270 Win for North American big game hunting. It will kill deer very dead. It will kill elk very dead. As long as you put a .270 Win bullet in big game oxygenated blood pumping equipment, it will kill everything just as dead as any mega-magnum. Shot placement kills big game, not caliber diameter.

Bad shoulder and all, I can shoot a Model 700 .270 Win with 130 grain bullets loaded with 60 grains of H-4831. I can shoot the same rifle with a max load of 150 grain Partitions and RL-22 powder. I did have a recoil pad installed on my rifle.

I'm applying for bull elk again this year. If I'm drawn, I'll be hunting with my Model 700 .270 Win. In fact, while I have more powerful rifles, the rest of my hunting from here on out will be with a .270 Win. And it has a 22" barrel on it.

BTW, my 43+ year-old Model 700 in .270 Win will shoot sub .5 MOA. And I load for hunting, not target shooting.

One of the two farthest shots I've made was with my 43+ year old Model 700 .270 Win. But I'd rather shoot at a hundred yards than farther.

Cheaper to keep her, didn't give much thought to a butt pad for whatever reason. May put one on my Christmas list, thanks.

Hi KSCHEVY,

If you do go the recoil pad route, it would be a good idea to have your gunsmith measure LOP. He might have to cut your rifle's stock to get the correct LOP. If you were to install a recoil pad on your rifle without considering LOP, it might throw out of whack the correct LOP for your rifle.

I did have my Model 700's stock shortened when I had a recoil pad installed. I have no intention of ever selling my rifle. I wanted the right LOP for me.

BTW, a rule I mostly abide by is never selling a rifle that shoots very tiny groups.

That's what my 270 is, the S2. Better than the original vanguard I had years back but it is kinda hefty compared to other offerings.

Yes, the Vanguard is heavier than other economical rifles in it's price range.

Since you are trying to reduce recoil, that is a good thing.

A 7mm-08 will kick less than a .270 and both rifles weigh the same if they are both Weatherby Vanguards.

If you really want to reduce recoil, get a .243 Winchester Weatherby Vanguard. Same weight, much lighter kicking load.

Cheapest thing would be to try out some Hornady Custom Lite Ammo in your .270 and see if that reduces recoil enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts