264 win mag vs. 7mm rem mag

264 win mag or 7mm mag

• Total voters
Just finished a custom build for a customer this morning. I built it on a Remington Long action. I rarely use Remington's and have been known to actually refuse to use these actions. But the customer insisted and paid extra. I went out and shot the full load developments this morning and this is what I came up with. Long Remington action ( original a 8mm Rem) Custom Wyatt extended box mag. Bartlien 28 in Barrel progressive twist or t style rifling. Final twist rate 1 in 8.65. Left hand twist. 5R RIFLING. 175gr LR Accubond. 180 Berger would also work. Win Mag primer. Bullet seated way out! I am not going to give all info, this is what I get paid for. I use Retumbo exclusively for the heavy 7mm bullets. Lets say somewhat over 76 gr of powder. Bullet moly coated. Brake is of my own manufacture. etc. 3275 fps! This OUT POUNDS all 300 win mags that you or Broz claim to do. The form factor on the 7mm just out does the 30 cal. But I don't expect you to understand form factor. Some just argue. I like all calibers. but at the end of the day the 7mm and the 338 are superior calibers for North American game when it comes to long range. Go crawl in you cave and know that the real people that are not internet warriors are laughing at you. ( Brian Litz, John Lazzeroni, Myself and the rest of the educated world):)

Lots of babbling man... Gist is you've built up a really fast 7mm rifle for a client on a m700 action and she'll do nearly 3300 fps with a 175. If it's a small enough case to only use 76 grains of powder to get there you need to be hitting 90,000 psi+. My guess is you are loading well over 100 grains of powder into the case, and if that's the case retumbo is to **** fast of a powder in a 7mm bore. You need to be looking at one of the powder offerings for the 50 bmg for this caliber type; ex. would be h50bmg, rl50, wc872. Good luck with the rl accubond; I'm getting the 150 to 3300 fps in my 24" bbl. 7stw at .5 moa accuracy, but some are having real accuracy trouble with them at high speeds; others are noticing they are pretty soft at high speed impact. Most are noticing the bc's are inflated so out-pound 10% off of the bc before you make the comparison.
Keep blowing smoke circles; it's fun to shoot arrows through them.

Last edited:
Not sure what the pressures are but the bolt lift is smooth and there are no marks of any type on the case head. The usable case capacity is greatly increased when the bullet is seated way out there. Keep in mind the 8mm Rem action is a little different due to the longer case, the parent case of the 7mm stw. Then put a Wyatt extended box magazine to even further increase the usable case capacity and moly coat the bullet. I will say this, although I do not like the Berger for hunting it is overall a faster bullet that produces higher velocities with equal pressure.
When one takes 3/4 inch plywood, soaks it in water and backs it with wet newspaper the Berger blows apart or does not expand at all. It is kinda a all or nothing bullet.
The Nosler LRAB really punches the plywood and destroys the paper, Complete penetration.
I think the Berger collapses the hollow point to the inside and closes up, hence the non expansion,OR the hollow point opens up and it blows apart. Very unreliable on game. I think the bullets labeled hunting is a marketing ploy to sell bullets to hunters and are the same as target bullets. None the less If people want to use them then by all means use them. It makes me wonder how many animals are hit at long range and walk off not know which direction to run do to the distance of the shot.

Well it sure isn't a 7mm08! Wow bronze member! For all that doubt this look up adi 2225 in 7mm rem and see what others are getting. Babbling and Rambling is what you get on forum..Grow up..

If you understood how everything works you might be able to see the light of day. EVERYONE is getting 3050 to 3070 with 24 in barrels. I molycoat, have a longer barrel and the bullet is seated out to a longer length than any normal action can handle. This is due to the Wyatt magazine. Winchester Primers also have to be used or you will lose 40 fps. Tis combination allows for greater powder capacity and lower pressures with more powder. HENCE HIGHER VELOCITY! Being a bronze member and having this described to you before makes us wonder how long you have been doing this or if your playing on daddy's computer.

I use Retumbo exclusively for the heavy 7mm bullets. Lets say somewhat over 76 gr of powder. Bullet moly coated. Brake is of my own manufacture. etc. 3275 fps!

You still have not said what case you are using and if you are claiming Retumbo and the 7 RM, I'm throwing the BS flag because I have used Retumbo under 160 AB's and 72 gr (max load) got me 3100 fps out of a 24" barrel (and that is smoking), add 2" to that and you get 3150 at the very most 3200 for 160 gr bullet. The the 175 gr bullet is going to be at least 100 fps slower and probably 150.

Here are some 7 RUM load data quotes for 175 and 180 bullets

99 gr of 872 with 215 primers. only powder i tried. 3250 was comfortable, could go over 3300, also had a 30" barrel. this is a cartridge that you don't want to be close to high pressure!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/need-loads-7mm-rum-180gr-berger-27356/
Lit it up this evening and results were encouraging, loaded 3 of 88gr of Retumbo and then 89, 90, 91, 91.5 and 92gr of one each to get a feel for the top end with a 175 GameKing. The velocities ran from 3012 to 3204.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/need-7mm-rum-load-data-73960/
I was barely breaking the 2800 fps mark with 180's out of my 7 RM. That was with Lapua brass and Retumbo out of a 26" barrel. Primers would start getting pretty flat at about 2825 fps.

My 7rum is pushing 180 bergers around 3250 fps with retumbo. Brux barrel 27"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/7mm-rum-7mm-rm-180-vld-velocities-49037/
This was for the 7RM out of the thread cited above

Near max load of Retumbo (68g) gives me 2950 fps with the same 1/2MOA accuracy out to 300 yards (shooting range max).

I'm running 66.8grns RL22 in 7mmRM with norma brass, 180 berger, .120 from lands. My crono is reading 3000fps

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/7mm-rum-7mm-rm-180-vld-velocities-49037/
So, your 7 RM pushing 175 and 180 bullets as fast or faster than a 7 RUM?

You must be quite the rifle builder...

Well it sure isn't a 7mm08! Wow bronze member! For all that doubt this look up adi 2225 in 7mm rem and see what others are getting. Babbling and Rambling is what you get on forum..Grow up..
Hell, you can't even get 7mm 180's to 3300 fps with a 26" bbl 7 rum with a 4.1" throat, primer choice be damned. I'm smelling a hot tomale' here.:cool::cool:

I'll bet you can't post a pressure graph of your load proving it is safe. I can and have posted pressure graphs of my former 7stw and am thinking of getting a system myself to prove out my current rifles.

Get a grip dude; just because you don't blow the action because you are playing throating tricks doesn't make it a safe combo. I've gotten good extraction at over 75,000 psi in the 7stw. I'd bet nearly 80,000 psi in a remmy before a belted mag. gets sticky and more than that to show distress on the brass.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...3004528-4000-fps-7mm-stw-w-140-bullet-065.jpg

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...3004549-4000-fps-7mm-stw-w-140-bullet-068.jpg

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...3004566-4000-fps-7mm-stw-w-140-bullet-067.jpg

Here are a few of my stw pressure graphs; they were posted a while back in the 4,000 fps 7stw thread... the factory load was the 150 win power point load. It was a rather obvious stiff load in that the rifle "rang" a bit as it was fired but showed no heavy bolt lift and the brass was fine for reloading. The other two graphs speak for themselves.

IS EVERYONE IN MONTANA THIS IGNORANT? Montanarifleman your just a know it all. Doubting Thomas. Check Load Data site for verification. You guys think you know it but you don't get it?:) I FIGURED IT OUT,,YOUR MOM AND SISTER MUST BE THE SAMElightbulb

Not everyone is dumb here in Montana! I got it figured out! Me gots a gun that shoots 160 grain matrix 6.5 caliber bullets at 4250 fps. I use Reloader 2400 short cut powder! Me gets them bullets way out there to make my case capacity similar to a 50bmg, but the case is a 2.5 inch belted magnum that I machine the base down to .475". With the smaller case head i can use the extremely strong falling block action! She is a real shooter but the next one I build I will make with a longer barrel, something in that 18" range for more better velocination!

Oh and for some factual infornication the wolves were howling just south of Gardiner MT just across the line!
"Spotter ready!"