.25x45, aka .25-45 Sharps, similar to the .25-223 wildcat

.30US

I don't know how long of a range this caliber is going to be for me, yet, but I have really been pleasantly surprised by it. I was skeptical of the marketing hype around it since it was always evasive about what barrel lengths they were testing to get the claimed velocities. I chronographed the first three shots of factory Sharps Rifle Co. 87gr .25x45 out my brand new barrel and averaged 2977fps with the gas system still turned off. The conditions were 150ft ASL, 80 degrees, and 70% humidity. I forgot my magazine on that range trip, so I was loading individually and didn't bother messing with the gas block. 2977fps is respectable enough for an 87gr. .257" out of a .223 case, and I'll be happy if the barrel speeds up a little as it's broken in, too. I thought I would share my little blurb on it since there isn't much on this forum about the caliber, yet. I really wanted a wildcat for my AR that used components I already had, and was looking hard at the .20 Practical and a little less so at the 6x45mm, but decided to try the .25x45 since I will always have .257" bullets in the correct weight range because of my .257 JDJ, whereas the .20 would be my only .204", and the 6x45mm would probably be better with lighter bullets than I usually keep on hand for my .243.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.