25-300 wsm/25 pronghorn build help

318lll9740

Good morning,
Im a big fan of the 257 WM, and I just got a deal on a 257 wsm barrel I couldn't pass up. Not to mention I been itching to do a packable rifle to tote around daily. The barrel is a savage small shank old adams and bennet. It was originally a 250 savage but was rechambered to 257 wsm, 25/300wsm, 25 pronghorn, whatever you prefer to call it. Anyway its new and unshot, sporter countour tapering to .570" at 24". I've done a good bit of research and the only hiccup I see has to do with the savage magnum bolt face of a short action small shank. (donor is short action 308 Savage 11) I can find magnum bolt face for the long action easily, but from my reading it seems the long action bolt face stem will need 1/8th trimmed from stem to work correctly. Is this all that will need to be done? I've done a few savage barrel swaps but not a short action, mag face.
Load data- any one have any suggestions. RL25 was mentioned a lot in my research. I would like to lean toward the 115-120 range with this rifle, I'll continue to use the 257 bee with 100 grainers ;-)
I have a full box of speer 120 spbt and some 115 NBT.
Dies- Anyone have a set of dies for sale. New price is ridiculous! I have around 300 270 wsm pieces of brass, that should last a while of I can get of loaner dies?
Thanks in advance for suggestions

As for dies, I'd get a 270wsm bushing die with proper bushing 282 or 283 maybe depending on neck thickness. I'm personally building a 25 saum, necked down 6.5 saum brass. Possibly a 25 creedmoor as well. These will both be fast twist setups to shoot the 131 blackjack high BC bullets.

As for dies, I'd get a 270wsm bushing die with proper bushing 282 or 283 maybe depending on neck thickness. I'm personally building a 25 saum, necked down 6.5 saum brass. Possibly a 25 creedmoor as well. These will both be fast twist setups to shoot the 131 blackjack high BC bullets.
Thanks! Thats the type of info Im looking for

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.