25-06 vs 6.5 creedmore

70win08

Considering trying a new rifle. I tend to like small and fast, what I am looking at is a 25-06 or 6.5 creedmore with 26 inch barrel, and what stock, wood or synthetic.

Considering trying a new rifle. I tend to like small and fast, what I am looking at is a 25-06 or 6.5 creedmore with 26 inch barrel, and what stock, wood or synthetic.

For Varmits only, what kind of Varmits and how far. If also for Big Game, which ones and how far? If for targets, how far? It never hurts to mention all of your uses for a rifle if you want meaningful answers.

Mainly coyote and groundhog 200-700 yds, deer 50-300 yds, and target shooting out to about 500. Really just getting into varmits and longer range shooting. Have 22-250 22 inch and 308 26 inch hv barrel.

I have a custom 26 inch fluted 257 Roberts AI (look at Nosler reloading data to compare to 25-06)

I can near attain 25-06 FPS. But anyway I use Hornaday 87 grain varmint bullets at 3500 fps and it just tears Marmots and jack rabbits apart.

For long range you could load up some 117 btsp's

If you stay with those parameters it is either or.
If you decide to hunt bigger animals I would go 6.5 for the 140's and if you go further I would go 6.5
again for the heavy high BC bullets

I've been knocking around the thought of a 6.5 Creed, prob Savage. But Remington's LR M40 (heavy 26" bbl., synth. bedding block M40 stock, mod. 84162) in .25-06 looks tempting; at $650 (Buds) a stone-cold bargain.

I have both and I would say 25-06 for the distance you want just off the top of my head I believe it is a flatter shooter. I use a 257 Weatherby for everything you are asking for and have no complaints. Shoots much flater to 500 yards than the creed. Both are awsome you won't go wrong with either.

Have you considered 6.5/284, there you would have the best of both rounds you want. Savage, Browning and others make the 6.5/284 cal. rifles in varmint/hunting rifles.

I've owned and shot a .25-06 for 30+ years. For hunting it's a great cartridge, groundhogs to Elk. Bullets 75 to 90 gr for varmint, 100 gr for larger such as deer and 120 gr for the largest animals.

Mine has a wood stock but I prefer synthetic as they aren't susceptible to humidity.

A 6.5 will paste a 25 at any kind of long range application. BC. It's all that matters. Quarter bores are cool but until Berger or someone else brings out some stuff to compete with the 6.5 stuff it's a no brainer. Bullet availability is the KEY to any LR endeavor.

A 6.5 will paste a 25 at any kind of long range application. BC. It's all that matters. Quarter bores are cool but until Berger or someone else brings out some stuff to compete with the 6.5 stuff it's a no brainer. Bullet availability is the KEY to any LR endeavor.

It is true that the 6.5 has High BC bullets but I've never had a complaint about groundhog hunting with the .25-06. It has taken game at any practical range I've hunted.

If it were only BC that mattered then why choose a 6.5 when there are other calibers that have bullets with better bc's then the 6.5?

There are some high bc bullets available in .257, a 110 gr with a bc of .520 and a few varmint bullets in the .390 range.

Last edited:
For your stated purpose 25-06 all the way. Been doing exactly that for about 25 years except on deer I go out to 500ish yards which is only limited to that by where I hunt. 87 Sierra for varmints red mist and scattered pieces on ground hogs and 117 Sierra Pro Hunter bang flop for deer. I prefer composite stocks. I have a HS Precision full aluminum bed stock on my Rem 700 26" Shilen select SS #6 barreled 25-06. Very accurate and deadly is all I can say.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.