.243 for Whitetail

If you find any Federal 85gr Sierra Game Kings, buy them up! They drop deer like a bolt of lightning. Why Federal stopped loading them I will never understand. They shoot extremely flat and are accurate as well.

I HAVE A DEADLY LOAD W/ THOSE BULLETS 43.5GRS H-414 WIN BRASS WIN PRIMER I KNOW OF 6 OR 7 243 THAT I USE THIS LOAD OUT MY SHOP!gun)

I have had a 243 in my deer hunting arsenal since 1973 . Every one I have had shot extremely well . Most any rounds will kill whitetail to 300 yds . I like the corloked but load the nosler 85 gr ballistic tip most of the time and liked it well to 300 yds . Beyond that I like the corloked 100 . I won't to try the 90 or 105 Berger VLD . Bottom line , the 243 is a very good choice for whitetail or coyotes or varmets with low recoil .

If you find any Federal 85gr Sierra Game Kings, buy them up! They drop deer like a bolt of lightning. Why Federal stopped loading them I will never understand. They shoot extremely flat and are accurate as well.

Probably because it wasn't selling well enough over the 100 grain BTSPs they still offer under P243C on their website. It's also under the Vital-Shok title and is 2960fps at the muzzle.

As a State Wildlife Officer I used a 243 Win. as a tool to work deer with. I have one 243 Win. still in my stable. Close as I could count killed 53 deer with it. Only 3 ever took a step after the shot. 3 in a row stock had warped lost Zero. One went to its knees I shot it again for good measure. My load was 85 gr. Sierra SP. Rem LGR and old Bulk H4831. The 85 gr. Sierra done great with a classic broadside shot. Chest just red jelly. The other 2 243 Win. worked good with 85 Gr Sierra SP and killed many deer. When I got transferred to bear country I quickly changed to a 308 Win. so I could use 165 gr. Nosler P. to break bear down in populated areas. If I would sport hunt with my 243 Win. for deer I would use a 95 gr. or 100 gr. Nosler part. I would feel confident on an angled shot at a nice white tail buck.

THERES TWO THINGS THAT'S A MUST FOR A 243 ONE IS H-414 AND THE OTHER IS 85 GR BTHP GAMEKING SIERRA THAT IS A DEADLY COMBO IN 6 243 THAT'S PAST THOURGH MY SHOPgun)

+1. Shot a lot of deer with the 85gr Sierra HPBT. Don't exactly know why that bullet is so effective but it is.

The 85gr Sierra HPGK is a great bullet. Used it for alot of years nothing but jelly in the lung area. Then Nosler finally got the jackets right on the Bal-Tips. VV-560, W-W case, BR-2's and 95 Bal-Tip (better BC) now. Load is in their #6 book. Its their accuracy load and one of the fastest...3125+fps out of my Sako...lightning kills.

Every gun is different without a doubt. But I would bet that the 100gr. core lokt is gonna be the ticket. I bought my mom a 243 and done a ton of research before I went ammo shopping. The 100gr core lokt is preferred by most from what I found. I tried it and was very impressed. Whatever remington's recipe for it works well if not great across the board. I have never liked a 243 until I bought one.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Eeeeggggzzzzactly! I bot a Marlin XS7 in .243 as a starter rifle for my grandsons. Both have taken their first deer with it and that rifle/load has performed excellent on all counts. Our shooting in the woods is 150 yds maximum.

Two Thumbs Up for the REM 100 gr CL load on WT deer at close range.

NB

I bought my savage 110 L , bolt on the south side, my last year in high school.That was 1960. Put a leopold VX2 3-9 by 50 on it about 20 years ago. Have taken a lot of white tails with it. Have been reloading , use 100 gr nosler partition. for deer, in open country. For coyotes, groundhogs, targets, etc , I use 60 gr sierra hollow points, good flat shooting load. For hunting in the bush , I use my 308, found the 243 was having trouble with the brush. old243

I've been using a Browning A-bolt Hunter .243 for several years...it's my most accurate and reliable Whitetail Deer Rifle,I'm using 100 grain Hornady Custom Bullets and have taken many Deer with it and several nice Bucks!

The Sierra Bullets are a very good choice and perform very good.I noticed several Hunters on here that have been using them!Here's My 2006 8-Point Buck using my Browning .243 Rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 185
THERES TWO THINGS THAT'S A MUST FOR A 243 ONE IS H-414 AND THE OTHER IS 85 GR BTHP GAMEKING SIERRA THAT IS A DEADLY COMBO IN 6 243 THAT'S PAST THOURGH MY SHOPgun)
I have using H-414 with WLRM primers. I now trying the Berger's 95 hunting bullets and getting very good groups at 200 yards. I using a Ruger 77 that is 243 improved .gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.