243 and 80g barnes ttsx

tjr

Does any body have pet loads for this bullet? Wanted to try them for deer in Utah this year.

I load this bullet for two of my grandsons and they have taken two deer with the load. The load is Lapua cases, 44 grains of RL-17 powder, Fed 210 primers.

Last Nov one of my grandsons shot a deer at about 50 yards with a high shoulder shot and the deer did not move from the spot that it was hit. The bullet exited the deer leaving a great deal of damage.

I use 45.5 grains of H4350, Rem cases, CCI #200 primers, and 80 grain ttsx. Average velocity in my 24" rem 700 is around 3400. I shot a whitetail doe a couple of years ago at 432 yards, the shot was a double lung through the ribs no large bones hit and the wound looked much like what I've seen from a 30-06 at 100 yards.

I also shoot H4350 behind the 80gr TTSX. I have not used it long range so I am not worried about the velocity as much. At 45 grains I was getting 3268 velocity.

Last year I was using 44.0 gr with 0.5" groups. This year I dropped to 43.5 gr and the group with a flier was 0.5". I am loading them 0.05 off the lands after playing with them over the last year. I have not been checking velocity over these lighter loads. Now that I found a happier OAL I may work back up at some point.

Bullet performance has been awesome. Even double lungs open very rapidly and vaporize the lungs. One day I am going to shoot a hog from end to end just so I can try to recover one of these little pills.

I've recovered a 30 cal. 150 grain ttsx from a whitetail that was shot end to end, it entered through the brisket and stopped on the right femur. The bullet looked just like Barnes' advertisments and performed perfectly. I would think the 80 grain 243 performs flawlessly as well although I have never recovered one yet.

shot 3 whitetails with this bullet. all 3 dropped like a rock. shooting 45 grains R-19 in a ruger american. getting 3200 fps and 1 inch at 200 yards.

Lapua Brass
CCI 200
45.5 grains of H4350
80 gr ttsx
.070" jump

This load gives me 3415 fps avg in a 26" barrel

I worked up to 46 grains and got 3450-3475, but backed off a half grain as accuracy was better and I figured 3400 was plenty.

It has worked very well for me on hogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.