.22 or 6mm 80-90 bullets in NormaBR?

EXPRESS

I want a small, almost recoil free cartridge to round my options.
Up until now I've used a 6PPC in a Sako Varminter and it has served me well but I want to retire it rather than rebarrel.

At the moment I'm tossing up between the 22BR and 6BR.

What I want is a rifle for shooting steel, and culling deer and pigs, so mostly head shots and pest control. We can say it's going to be a 600 yard rifle. I have a 6.5x55 as the next step up.

With the same parent case and bullet weights in different diameters they should be close enough to have the same volocity apart from theoretical efficiency differences due to bore/case ratio.

I want to go at least 2900 preferably 3000fps, so that means I should look at the 90grain bullets.

90 grains in .22 cal means a BC of over .5 while in the 6mm it's going to be in the .4's.
The .22 might be slightly slower with the 90's but in my opinion the differences are small enough that individual barrel performance could take it either way.

The .22 (1:8 twist) seems to be the better choice for me, it's a bit bigger step away from the 6.5 above it and the heavyweight .223 bullets have better downrange performance than the 6mm, which is also going to start trying to creep in on the 6.5x55 it I start using 115gn bullets.

Ammiright?

I think your reasoning is good, its always tough when you get down to 2 good choices.

I would rather shoot heavy for caliber bullets, if 90 grains is what you want I say .224. With the 6mm I think the mission creep, using heavier bullets to approach the 6.5's is real.

You have owned one and experience is always a plus, but it seems like you're looking for a change.

If you're going to be shooting hogs and deer out to 600yds you really need to go with the 6mm over the .223.

You just won't have the energy and penetration necessary to ensure clean, humane kills at that kind of range with the smaller caliber.

No I'm not planning on shooting hogs and deer at 600, I will use it for head shots only as I do with the 6PPC now. On a good day I might stretch a headshot out to 400 yards, and the 6PPC with a 70grain Ballistic Tip (it doesn't like anything heavier) works well, I figure a 22 cal bullet with a bit more SD at 80 or 90 grains is going to be even better.

The only reason I like the 6 is because it is more flexible, you can hunt deer with it using 100 or 115 bullets and detonate varmints with the 55 grainers.

But if I'm filling the small caliber niche I should stick to the plan, otherwise, as I and others have already said, I'll be creeping up on the 6.5x55.

I tent to agree with HarperC in that shooting a heaver weight for caliber is a better long range bullet. I think another consideration is to ask yourself what you intend to take hunting when you go deer hunting. Wild rose makes a good point about 600 yard shots with a .223 but If you plan to take the 6.5mm with you when deer hunting, I think Id go for the .22BRto give yourself some space below the 6.5.

Having said all that. I have asked myself the same question because I have a 6.5-06AI and I have a .223 so If I build again, I think at this point I looking at a standard .243 Win. bet then my 6.5 is long action and the .223 is so much smaller that the .243 just fits right in the middle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.