22 creedmoor loads

You rifle is essentially a 22-243 with a touch less capacity and a slightly better case design. Wether or not the design is superior enough to make a significant accuracy difference in a field rifle is not for me to say, as I haven't tested the round.

You do have some negative aspects. 1:7 is only suited to 75+ grain bullets more like 90 grain because of the speed. But the 23 inch barrel hurts because you need slow burn rate powder for heavy bullets.

Look for 22-243 loads on the net or you can look at 220 swift and add a grain more because of your case capacity.

Did anybody ever mention the barrel life expectancy?

Should be crazy fun gun to shoot little recoil and very flat shooting. I'd say budlight is pretty close on the 22-243 comparison. My buddy has a 22-243 he can't shoot the 35gr vmax because they are moving so fast they come apart right out of the barrel unless he downloads them until what's the point of shooting them there moving so slow, so I would not waste my time with the really light bullets. I think he uses a lot of varget in his 22-243. You might try some of the Harnady 75gr bthp match bullets relatively cheap and shoot very well at least out of my AR-15's. I would think that you will have your best accuracy with bthp bullets you will be able to get closer to the lands and still fit in the magazine more than with the poly tip bullets. might try the Lapua Scenar bullets also I've had great luck with them in my AR 6.5 Creedmoor but they are pricey. The seirra matchkings at least in 6.5mm are longer to the point they are very similar to a poly tip bullet.

I am sure barrel life will not be a strong point. I plan on coyote hunting with it and currently only have Copper Creek loaded 75gr A-Max. I appreciate all comments positive and negative. It sure is fun to shoot.

This sounds like an awesome round that I've never heard of I am shooting a 22-250 and I can hardly what for the barrel to be done so I can try something like this are dies easy to find? What about brass? Who made your barrel?

There are other options but Whiddon makes die,s.The brass is made from 6 mm Creedmoor and the barrel is a Bartlein. The current load from copper creek is running 3290 thith the 75gr A-Max.

I know this is a year old but there are few posts about this caliber.

I've been running one for over a year now using 6 Creed Hornady brass. I've been getting around 3500 fps with an 82 grain Berger. A month or so ago I loaded Lapua 22-250 brass with a 77 TMK and 39 grains of R26 and it resulted in a perfect 22 Creed case. I worked up a load today with that brass and was able to fill the case (47 grains) with R26 with zero pressure signs. 66 grains gave me 3561 FPS and 66.5 gave me 3589. The two groups I shot with each were .299" and .235" at 100 yards.

Thanks for the info...it's never to late... I have not shot it much but will soon. Thanks for any further information...

Case length of 6.5 Creedmoor is 1.92 is the 22 Creedmoor longer? If not, it is more like a improved 22-250 than a .22-243 Win.

Good luck

Jerry

No, it's not longer. The 22-250 case when fire formed to 22 Creed is 1.89. I usually cut my Hornady 6 Creed cases to 1.910 after neck sizing to 22. I leave brass for the 6 Creed at 1.915.

Dan,

I hope you got some more shooting time with your GAP10 in .22 Creedmoor, especially on coyote! This is a perfect cartridge for longer range predators and varmints because it has the horsepower for the longer, heavier bullets.

Does your barrel use the mid-length gas system or a rifle-length?

I built mine with a custom rifle-length gas system which controls the gas pressure a bit better. 24" barrel, rifle-length gas system with a custom made gas block. with an infinitely adjustable range from off to on based on the gas port diameter. The twist rate is 1:7" in a Bartlein barrel using my own contour because of the gas system.

Josh at CCCC does a great job of creating good loads for situations like this.

You do have some negative aspects. 1:7 is only suited to 75+ grain bullets more like 90 grain because of the speed. But the 23-inch barrel hurts because you need slow burn rate powder for heavy bullets.

I've been running everything from 90 grain VLDs down to the 55 grain Barnes TTSX-BT in this barrel without any loss or compromise of accuracy. The 75 gr. AMAX is a favorite until I run out of the supply I bought when they were discontinued. The 24" is excellent when the proper powders are selected and used. Currently, I'm running Re-16 for the lighter bullets up to Re-25, 26 for the heavier, longer bullets. There are others but these work the best for the way I reload.

The .22 Creedmoor is also exceptional in a bolt action rifle whether for varmints, predators or longer range target shooting. I have both. The 30" barrel is good for 1,200 yards since it's still supersonic. Lots of fun on steel.

Enjoy your project!

Thanks for the info it's great to hear the information. I have not shot it as much as I would like but have gotten some ammo from Josh and maybe have 80 rds down .. I plan on yote and pig shooting in Texas this year. I really like the round and hope to be putting some down soon. I will try some of your suggestions. It does have a rifle length gas system. Mine is 1-7 as well with a badger break... It's not needed.been waiting for a suppressor to complete the setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.