22-250 projectile size

Aussie_hunter

What's the largest projectile you can get for a 22-250? The reason I ask this in Australian forum is because Australia and America have different laws and I'm wondering if those laws stop us from getting larger grain projectiles because I read that someone self loaded a 80 grain projectile for a 22-250 and the person was from america and the largest iv heard someone loading there own loads was 65 grain I buy factory rounds that are 55 grain.

Berger makes a 90 grain bullet in .224 cal but most factory 22-250s here have a 1:14 or 1:12 twist so you cant shoot that heavy of a bullet. some people have custom 22-250s made with a 1:7 just to shoot the heavy 70-90 grain high BC bullets.

Ive been testing out some berger 64 FB match varmint bullets in my 12 twist 22-250 with lapua brass loaded with 33.5 gns of varget.So far it gives me sub MOA hits at 100 however they hit consitently about 1 inch left of where my pet load groups. No keyholing or anything like that. Berger even states made for 1:12 twist or faster on the box. I'd love t be able to shoot some 70 vld or 75s out of it and really reach out further.

Once ya get above about 60-65gns youl need a good fast twist barrel like a 1 in 8" or 1 in 7". We use a standard twist(1in12") Sako A7 with the berger 64gn projectiles. these are as heavy as we could go with our barrel. they shoot great(1/2MOA) and are great on small game aswell. devistating on wallabys,hares,rabbits and magpies.
heres a vid of them in use [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8bvbPFYbWo]Wallaby Hunting in New Zealand - YouTube[/ame]
cheers Joseph

There are no laws that dictate the weights of bullets in Australia. In the UK, Europe and USA there are laws that dictate the caliber and Wt of projectiles used to take different game. Here there are no such rules. We do not have 'game' animals as such. Just feral and native. Unprotected and protected.
You just use whatever your rifle shoots well with and will take the animal cleanly.
IE; .224 55gn Hornady SX in my .223 for foxes and rabbits. .243 90gn Sierra SP for roos. .358 200gn Hornady FX in the Whelen for pigs.
I dont try to use .224 53gn Sierra boat tailed match hollow points for foxes. I dont use the 55gn .224s on roos either as they will blow up on fore arms and badly wound a roo.
Up to you what you use.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.