22/250 or 223

Heya... the 22-250 is a great platform for a bolt action... fast... flat.. hard hitting. It's a definite caliber of choice for a lot of predator hunters. I have one, but I personally find that I use the .223 more often... both bolt action and semi. The reason is that the bullets are less expensive to buy... brass is abundant, reloading you use less powder, and if you use the right bullets (fast expanding)... it is an absolute coyote thumper which doesn't damage fur with the right shot placement. (rarely get a bullet that passes through a mutt). This is also nice if you have equipment or livestock in the area in which you shoot... you don't have to worry as much about a bullet coming out the other side and hitting something you don't want it to.

I love my bolt action rifles... have a lot of them... but I find that I take my semi auto out with me more to coyote hunt than my bolts. The reason is for fast follow-up shots, shooting runners, especially when multiples come in.

It's all a matter of preference though. Either caliber will serve you very well for shooting coyotes... just a matter of what you want!

I have been calling coyotes for close to 40 years. In the 80s I tried a whole bunch of rifles and came to the conclusion that the AR in 223 was the perfect coyote rifle for me. There wasn't the caliber choices then like there are today. If you plan on keeping the fur then I think the 223 is perfect. I have tailored my loads so I very seldom have a bullet pass thru. All the energy stays in side the yote. I zero at 200 yards so just have to hold a little high at 300. This year I killed 38 coyotes and called 54 and every one was within 200yards.
All that being said I also have a 22 250 and a 220 Swift that I hunt with. I will have a runner about 1 out of 5 or 6 with the AR, I recover most all of them. About one a year I can't find. I never have runners with the 22 250 or the Swift.... I usually shoot the AR in the early part of the season when I'm killing a lot of pups and then switch to the 22 250 and the swift in that latter part of the year when most of the coyotes left have a pretty good education.
This is just what works for me. I don't think you are under gunned with a 223.I guess the bottom line is shoot what you like and enjoy your self.I hunt with a guy that shoots coyotes with a 375 H&H. So shoot what works for you and have fun!!!

I'd agree with .223 in an AR and 22-250 in a bolt not intended for high round count. The caveat being when I start getting to longer ranges with a bolt I step up to a 243(AI). Either works, I just don't care about pelts and want them DOWN.

My last two coyote kills have been with a 325 FTX from a muzzleloader and a 110gr VMAX launched from a 300WM at 3800 fps. I enjoy overkill on coyotes and don't mind if they land in multiple places :)

Wayne, I don't think you would be at a disadvantage with a 223 as most of the coyotes that are called are usually killed within 200 yards. I noticed you are from PA there is some really good groundhog hunting there and if your into that the 22-250 might be a more versatile caliber. Most of my coyote hunting is done using beagles and the yotes are usually trotting along in front of the dogs at 15 or 20 mph so I use an AR in 223 .

Where in NEPA are you? I've hunted SGL 207 some, and may try a few others around the area. I've shot lots of coyotes and varmints with .223, but just got my first .22-250. Either will do the job, but a fast twist .22-250 will be an advantage over a .223 for getting farther out there. On SGL 207, there isn't enough open space to take advantage of one over the other, though. Depending where you are, check out the used rack at Piestrak's in Nanticoke. You never know what you will find traded in there! I've seen some beautiful custom varmint rifles in there; even gave some thought to a 5mm SMc, just because it was cool and a good price.

Ruger American Predator in 22/250 is a good rifle. My RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots 1/2" groups with factory Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M rounds. But that rifle is for deer and antelope, not coyotes.

Eric B.

Depending on your expected ranges and annual round volume, the choice can vary. If you use a 223 with a 9" or faster twist, the 65 to 75gr bullets work wonders at the longer ranges, but if you expect the majority of your shots to be 300yds or under, the 50-55's are very effective. If you plan to occasionally shoot larger volumes of rounds for practice or other pests, the 223 keeps things cooler and cheaper. Here in the West, 22-250, 22-250 AI are my go to for longer range yotes, and with 1/9 and 1/8 twist barrels, 75/80 gr bullets reach way out, buck the wind well and hammer yotes hard.

I have a couple of 20" and 24" heavy barreled 1/8 twist 223/5.56 AR's I shoot the 68 to 75gr bullet in, and the fast follow up shots on multiple sprinting sage brush yotes does have advantages.

If your state allows, a 22-250 loaded with Barnes X bullets makes a decent deer load to boot. I know guys in the Southern US who call yotes during their long deer seasons, and carry a few rounds of TSX's for the Whitetails that occasionally and curiously come in to investigate the yote calls.

I have both calibers in bolt and gas operated versions. Either will do the job. I tend to grab my 22-250 more than the .223.
If you're looking for an inexpensive rifle that is extremely accurate, look at the Savage model 12FV sold only by cabelas. I own two in 22-250 and 6.5. Both of mine are.5 moa rifles. Lots of reviews on this model.

I used a 250 for a lot of years and shot lots of coyotes. Never lost a coyote I hit with it. Got an AR for Christmas a few years ago and I have lost 5 or 6, out of 200 or so, that were hit right were I was aiming. I do like the quick follow up option of the AR but I sure miss the knock down power of my 250.

Just picked up a 22-250 last Cabela's sale, ended up after rebate at 220 after tax. Now I have the 22-250 bug. I bought about 300 rounds of PPU 55 gr ammo, mainly to season the barrel and it was under ten bucks a box. Haven't used much of it as I quickly developed loads for it for fur.

That being said, I'm looking at the Ruger American compact for many reasons. It's a 10 twist, it's inexpensive, it's got a short barrel to move around easily. I've got my long range rig, it's heavy and I love to shoot it. Still haven't killed a dog with it yet, but after lots of reading, most dogs aren't killed at extended distance in the Northeast.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.