1st Hog w Pulsar Trail XP50 Thermal Sight

Double Naught Spy

I am getting to test out this new sight from Pulsar. It has some neat features, one of which is my favorite Picture in Picture mode for aiming where you get a smaller zoomed image for pinpoint shooting and a larger, lower magnification image that provides a bigger FOV.

My first hog with this scope also turned out to be my first tripod hog!

[ame]https://youtu.be/N-7LH-nycIg[/ame]

DNS I thought the picture on these new units would be much improved. Especially since it is now a 640 unit. I just do not see it. What am I missing? Thanks.

DNS I thought the picture on these new units would be much improved. Especially since it is now a 640 unit. I just do not see it. What am I missing? Thanks.

I understand your perspective and all I can say is that you are missing several things, but that is no fault of yours. The picture is definitely better than the 384 resolution units. For some reason, Pulsar opted to not make this in higher native magnification, which makes a HUGE difference. This is a 1.6x native magnification scope. Personally, I would like to have seen the native resolution be somewhere between 2.5 and 4x which I sort of feel is a sweet spot for general utility for 640 resolution thermal scopes, giving you better clarity up close and a bit more reach for those of us who like to shoot farther. At 1.6x this is more comparable to an IR Hunter MKII 1.5x scope than the IR Hunter MKIII 4.5x that I have been running recently.

The second aspect is that the video feature on these does not match the quality of the image seen through the viewfinder which gives you a much better contrasted image.

The one other factor coming into play here is that there is a variety of higher grass stalks between the hogs and me in this video that break up the image. I can tell you that things didn't look significantly better through my Armasight Zeus II 2x 640 scope at the time, either.

Here is another guy's version of what the scope can do. Different conditions, mowed field, different results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5nfnvT9JA

Last edited:
Very nice video!

Do the Armasight units have the PIP? Looks like a nifty feature, but I'm not planning on purchasing another thermal just to have that feature.

Only Pulsar has the PiP. It is a really nifty feature, but it takes some getting used to using. The first time I saw it, I thought it was stupid. This was with a prototype Apex Sellmark let me field test. The guy explaining to me how the scope worked showed it to me and I laughed at the silliness, then figured out how useful it can be.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.