1960 Schultz & Larsen 7x61 S&H

Pastor Gun.zales

I decided to pick up this beautiful Schultz & Larsen rifle today! It was originally purchased at Bitburg Air Base in Germany in June 1960, and it was owned by the same man until I picked it up today. It is in extremely good condition and you can tell that it was a safe queen. It is also cool that this rifle has only had 2 owners and has both original bill of sales.

Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge? I love 7mmRemMag and 7x57, but have never handled 7x61 before.

I found dies online, but if you know anyone with a set of dies and 7x61 S&H brass let me know. I don't mind forming my own brass, but I would love to have to some brass with the proper headstamp.

image0.jpeg

IIRC there was an article on the S&H in Rifle magazine maybe a decade or so ago. John Barsness might have written it, you could probably ask him over on the Campfire.
Thank you,

I have found old load data from old Hornady load books, and a few pieces of brass online. Now to get it brass and dies ordered and get to loading away. Also, I found loads for win760, h1000, and 4350 (which I have in stock). It appears the best loads are for 4064 and 4831 (Which I don't have). I do have Varget and SW Precision... Maybe I'll slowly work up loads for them, but I'll play it safe at first.

Out of stock currently but I order mine here:

1712418339980.png

https://normausa.com/product/dedicated-components/brass/7x61-super-norma-reloading-brass-50-qty/

I've been shooting the 7x61 S&H for a couple of decades now. It's no slight to the American 7mm Rem Mag. but the 7x61 can duplicate or better anything the 7mmRM does.

Good, solid, safe reloading practices will serve you well for the life of these rifles.

Be aware of the twist rate as some came out slower than we would normally expect. You won't get any of the current crop of long/heavy for caliber bullets to shoot in these barrels.

Enjoy your choice!

:)

Out of stock currently but I order mine here:

View attachment 561341

https://normausa.com/product/dedicated-components/brass/7x61-super-norma-reloading-brass-50-qty/

I've been shooting the 7x61 S&H for a couple of decades now. It's no slight to the American 7mm Rem Mag. but the 7x61 can duplicate or better anything the 7mmRM does.

Good, solid, safe reloading practices will serve you well for the life of these rifles.

Be aware of the twist rate as some came out slower than we would normally expect. You won't get any of the current crop of long/heavy for caliber bullets to shoot in these barrels.

Enjoy your choice!

:)
Thank you, And my twist rate is 1:12 :( The 7x61 is my 4th 7mm, so luckily I have bullets ranging from the 120's all the way up to 175's. I'll stick with the 120-140ish range and it should be good. Now to find 4831 and 4064. I have Varget, SW Precision, 4350, and H1000, so at least I can start working up loads once everything comes in.